Henry Munro Middle School
|Henry Munro Middle School|
2105 Kender Avenue|
Ottawa, Ontario, K1J 6J7
|School type||Middle school|
|Language||English & French Immersion|
|Color(s)||Black, White and Green|
|Last updated: July 19, 2010|
Henry Munro Middle School is located in the Beacon Hill neighbourhood of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and is operated by Ottawa Carleton District School Board. The school educates in grades 6-8. Henry Munro offers early French immersion.
The school's official name is 'Henry Munro Middle School' after Henry Munro, a Canadian political figure.
In 2007, the school won five gold medals at the OCDSB intermediate track and field championships including a sweep of the boys 1500 metre events.
The school tied for first place tied in the medal standings at the OCDSB track and field championships in 2008.
Between 2006 and 2008 Henry Munro was known for its absolute dominance in basketball both Jr. and Intermediate. Consecutive Regional and City Championships were won those years.
In 2015 the boys and girls cross country team won over all number 1 in the whole district.
Henry Munro won the Canadian Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance's Diamond Award in 2006-07 for outstanding achievement in physical education and athletics, for the daily physical education program, sports sanwal teams, and intramurals.
In 2005, the school picked up eight awards at the Ottawa Regional Science Fair, including first place in the 'Engineering and Computing Sciences: Junior' category.
- Tom Cruise, actor—attended Grade 6 (1973–74) when his father Thomas Cruise Mapother III was a consultant to the Canadian Armed Forces
- Corey Cowick, Former Ottawa 67's ice hockey player and 2009 draft pick of the Ottawa Senators. He now splits time in between the Elimra Jackels and the Binghamton Senators
- Tom Green, comedian—Famous Canadian Comedian.
- Jordan Tannahill, playwright
- Bryan Adams, singer
- Sherwin, Fred (2007-06-16). "Henry Munro successfully defends Grade 7/8 soccer championship". Orléans Online. Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Henry Munro Lions roar at public board intermediate track and field championships" Archived 2007-10-20 at the Wayback Machine., Orléans Online, August 18, 2008
- Sherwin, Fred (2008-06-13). "Pair of Lions roar at OCDSB track and field championships". Orléans Online. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Outstanding Intramural Achievement Award Winners"[dead link], Mohawk College
- "Recognition Award Program". Canadian Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. Archived from the original on 2007-10-13. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Henry Munro Middle School profile" (PDF). Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. Retrieved 2008-06-14.[permanent dead link]
- "Divisional Award Winners - 2005", Ottawa Regional Science Fair, April 28, 2008