Henry Newton (politician)
He was the son of Hibbert Newton, collector of customs for Nova Scotia, and Hannah Adams, the daughter of John Adams, a member of the Legislative Council. Newton was customs collector for Halifax. He first married Charlotte, the daughter of Benjamin Green. After the death of his first wife, Newton married Anne Stuart, the daughter of painter Gilbert Stuart. In 1763, he was named to the province's Legislative Council. He died in Halifax.
His sister Hannah Adams Newton married Jonathan Binney and his brother John also served in the Nova Scotia assembly. Newton's son was Gilbert Stuart Newton who became a British painter. Newton's grandson was Hibbert Newton Binney.
- A Directory of the Members of the Legislative Assembly of Nova Scotia, 1758-1958. Public Archives of Nova Scotia. 1958.
- A history of Nova-Scotia, or, Acadie. Volume III (1867) Murdoch, Beamish Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Mullins, Janet E (1980) Some Liverpool chronicles (1980) Archived 2011-06-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- Note she is named Margaretta Green Newton on her burial marker in the Old Burying Ground (Halifax, Nova Scotia).
- A history of Nova-Scotia, or, Acadie. Volume II (1866) Murdoch, Beamish