Henry Paget, 7th Marquess of Anglesey
The Marquess of Anglesey
Henry Paget, 7th Marquess of Anglesey in 1961
|Born||8 October 1922|
|Died||13 July 2013(aged 90)|
|Alma mater||Eton College|
|Title||Marquess of Anglesey|
|Term||21 February 1947 – 13 July 2013|
He was the son of Charles Paget, 6th Marquess of Anglesey and Lady Victoria Manners, the eldest daughter of the 8th Duke of Rutland, and was baptised with George V and Mary of Teck as his godparents. He was the brother of Lady Rose McLaren and the nephew of Lady Diana Cooper.
He was educated at Wixenford School and Eton College. He gained the rank of major in the service of the Royal Horse Guards (Blues) and fought in the Second World War. He used the courtesy title of Earl of Uxbridge until he succeeded to the marquessate in 1947.
He held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Anglesey in 1960, Vice-Lieutenant of Anglesey between 1960 and 1983 and Lord Lieutenant of Gwynedd between 1983 and 1989. He was the honorary president of the Crimean War Research Society.
Lord Anglesey wrote the books The Capel Letters 1814–1817 (1955), consisting of the edited correspondence between the first Marquess’s sister in England and his nieces; One Leg: The Life and Letters of 1st Marquess of Anglesey (1961), a biography of his ancestor; Sergeant Pearman's Memoirs (1968); and A History of the British Cavalry, Volumes I–VIII, which has been described as "the definitive history" of this arm. The Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies awarded him the Chesney Gold Medal for it in 1996.
Lord Anglesey presented the historic family home, Plas Newydd on the island of Anglesey, to the National Trust in 1976, with 169 acres of surrounding estate, and it has been open to the public since July 1 of that year.
Lord Anglesey died, aged 90, on 13 July 2013. His funeral was arranged as a private family cremation, followed by a private committal service at St Edwen's Church, Llanedwen. On 14 June 2014, a public memorial service was held for him in Bangor Cathedral.
Style and titles
He married Elizabeth Shirley Vaughan Morgan on 16 October 1948 and they had five children:
- Lady Henrietta Charlotte Eiluned Paget (b. 31 July 1949)
- Charles Alexander Vaughan Paget, 8th Marquess of Anglesey (b. 13 November 1950)
- Lady Elizabeth Sophia Rhiannon Paget (b. 14 May 1954)
- Lord Rupert Edward Llewellyn Paget (b. 21 July 1957)
- Lady Amelia Myfanwy Polly Paget (b. 12 September 1963)
|Ancestors of Henry Paget, 7th Marquess of Anglesey|
- "The 7th Marquis of Anglesey". The London Daily Telegraph. 15 July 2013.
- Andrew Cox, Charles Roger Dod, Robert Phipps Dod, Dod's Parliamentary Companion (1999), p. 12
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by George Paget, 7th Marquess of Anglesey
- Henry Paget, 7th Marquess of Anglesey profile, thepeerage.com
| Lord Lieutenant of Gwynedd
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Marquess of Anglesey
1947 – 2013
Charles Alexander Vaughan Paget