Henry Snyder High School
|Henry Snyder High School|
|239 Bergen Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07305
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Jersey City Public Schools|
|Vice principals||Iguana Cansler-Lefwitch
Francis J. Dooley
Don Howard Jr.
|Enrollment||993 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.6:1|
|Athletics conference||Hudson County Interscholastic League|
Academy of the Arts at Henry Snyder High School is a four-year performing arts public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades, located in the Greenville section of Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Jersey City Public Schools. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1940.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 993 students and 94.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.6:1. There were 736 students (74.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 37 (3.7% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 319th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 279th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 312th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 304th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 298th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school 344th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (an increase of 10 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Henry Snyder High School Tigers compete in the Hudson County Interscholastic League (HCIAA), which includes private and parochial high schools in Hudson County and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. With 792 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North II, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 778 to 1,062 students in that grade range.
The boys' bowling team won the overall state championship in 1963.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Yvonne Waller, Principal
- Iguana Cansler-Lefwitch, Vice Principal
- Francis J. Dooley, Vice Principal
- Margaret Freeman, Vice Principal
- Don Howard Jr., Vice Principal
- Nick Adams (1931–1968), actor who appeared in Hollywood films and on television during the 1950s and 1960s.
- Rich Glover (born 1950), 1972 Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award winner - Nebraska (1970-72) - NFL 1973, 1975.
- Gerald Govan (born 1942), retired basketball player who played in all nine seasons of the original American Basketball Association.
- Jerry Herman (born 1931), composer and lyricist.
- Derek Luke (born 1974), actor who won multiple awards for his big-screen debut performance in the 2002 film Antwone Fisher, directed and produced by Denzel Washington.
- Peter Sliker (1925-2010), opera singer with the Metropolitan Opera.
- Shirley Tolentino (1943–2010), first black woman to serve on the New Jersey Superior Court and to be appointed to the Jersey City Municipal Court and serve as its presiding judge.
- School data for Henry Snyder High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Henry Snyder High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 8, 2015.
- Henry Snyder High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools, backed up by the Internet Archive as of Match 15, 2012. Accessed March 26, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 24, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed June 19, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed December 31, 2011.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- History of NJSIAA Boys Bowling Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 1, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Indoor Relay Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 17, 2016.
- NJSIAA Group Basketball Past Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 8, 2015.
- Home Page, Henry Snyder High School. Accessed November 8, 2015.
- Hyams, Joe. "It's More Than A Role: TV's Nick Adams Is The Rebel", The Tuscaloosa News, December 25, 1960. Accessed June 19, 2011. "'I remember when I was in Henry Snyder High School in Jersey I was a three letter man but I couldn't make the senior class play.'"
- Staff. "Dickinson looks to improve under local legend Glover College Football Hall of Fame member hopes Rams improve in second year", The Hudson Reporter, September 23, 2008. Accessed June 19, 2011. "Rich Glover didn't expect things to be this way. The former Snyder High School product, who went on to become an All-American nose guard at the University of Nebraska in the early 1970s, earning accolades such as the Lombardi Trophy and the Outland Trophy as being the best interior lineman in the nation, came home last year to take over the reins as the head football coach at Dickinson High School."
- Staff. "Hall of a night for Jersey City sports greats Jersey City Recreation Foundation brings back its Hall of Fame with gala dinner", The Hudson Reporter, October 17, 2006. Accessed June 19, 2011. "Govan, who went from Snyder High School to becoming one of the all-time leaders in rebounds and blocked shots in the old American Basketball Association, the league that introduced the red, white and blue ball and gave 'Dr. J' Julius Erving his first professional opportunity, was also grateful to be honored once again."
- Gerald Govan, Basketball-Reference.com. Accessed December 13, 2007.
- Ewen, David. Popular American Composers from Revolutionary Times to the Present: A Biographical and Critical Guide, Volume 1, p. 51. Accessed June 6, 2012. "Following his graduation from Henry Snyder High School in Jersey City, he enrolled at the Parsons School of Design in New York intending to become an interior decorator."
- Staff. "Actor Derek Luke comes home to talk with Snyder High students", The Jersey Journal, December 22, 2008. Accessed June 19, 2011. "Jersey City born-and-raised actor Derek Luke is at Snyder High School, where he attended, this morning to talk to students, a school official said this morning. The star of Biker Boyz, Antoine Fisher and Glory Road, is expected to talk about his life experiences and rough times growing up in Jersey City. Luke attended Snyder, but graduated from Linden High."
- Staff. "Obituaries: Peter Sliker, who sang with Metropolitan Opera, will be buried in Califon", The Hunterdon County Democrat, July 1, 2010. Accessed June 19, 2011. "He was born in Jersey City to Harry and Ella Sliker on June 7, 1925. He attended grade school and high school in Jersey City, graduating from Snyder High."
- Jersey City to Honor the Life of Judge Shirley A. Tolentino Street Renaming of the Corner of Baldwin & Newark Avenues, City of Jersey City. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Henry Snyder High School
- Jersey City Public Schools
- Jersey City Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Jersey City Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics