Henry Stanhope, Lord Stanhope
He was the second and next surviving son of Philip Stanhope, 1st Earl of Chesterfield and his first wife Catherine Hastings, daughter of Francis Hastings, Lord Hastings, oldest son of George Hastings, 4th Earl of Huntingdon. Amongst his younger brothers were Ferdinando Stanhope and Arthur Stanhope, while his nephew was James Stanhope, 1st Earl Stanhope. He entered the English House of Commons in 1625, sitting for Nottinghamshire in the following two parliaments until 1626. In the third parliament of 1628, he represented East Retford until the next year. At the coronation of King Charles I of England in 1625, he was made a Knight of the Order of the Bath.
On 4 December 1628, he married Katherine Wotton, daughter of Thomas Wotton, 2nd Baron Wotton in Boughton Malherbe in Kent. They had two daughters and two sons. The first son, Wotton, died in infancy and the second, Philip, succeeded his grandfather as earl. Stanhope died intestate in St Martin-in-the-Fields, London and was buried in Boughton Malherbe three days later. Having been governess of Mary, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange and having supplied the royal troops with money and weapons during the English Civil War, his wife was created Countess of Chesterfield for life by King Charles II of England after the English Restoration.
- Lady Mary Stanhope (b. 7 October 1629)
- Lady Catherine Stanhope (d. 19 Nov 1662)
- Wotton Stanhope (d. December 1632)
- Philip Stanhope, 2nd Earl of Chesterfield (1634–28 Jan 1714)
- Collins, Arthur (1812). Sir Egerton Brydges, ed. Collin's Peerage of England. vol. III. London: T. Bensley. p. 424.
- Burke, John (1832). A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire. vol. I (4th ed.). London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley. p. 234.
- Standish, John (1903). Transactions of the Thoroton Society. vol. VII. The Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire. p. 38.
- Beatson, Robert (1806). A Political Index to The Histories of Great Britain and Ireland. vol. III. London: Lonman, Hurst, Rees and Orme. p. 429.
- "Christie's Official Website - Portrait of Katherine, Countess of Chesterfield". Retrieved 29 July 2009.
- "ThePeerage - Sir Henry Stanhope, Lord Stanhope". Retrieved 7 March 2007.
- Poynting, Sarah (January 2008). "Stanhope [née Wotton; other married name van der Kerckhove], Katherine, suo jure countess of Chesterfield, and Lady Stanhope (bap. 1609, d. 1667), courtier". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/15669. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
|Parliament of England|
Sir Gervase Clifton
|Member of Parliament for Nottinghamshire
With: Sir Gervase Clifton 1625
Sir Thomas Hutchinson 1626
Sir John Byron
Sir Gervase Clifton
Sir Francis Wortley
John, Lord Haughton
|Member of Parliament for East Retford
With: Sir Edward Osborne
Parliament suspended until 1640
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of England (up to 1707) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|