Henry Sturgis Morgan
Henry Sturgis Morgan
|Born||October 24, 1900|
|Died||February 8, 1982 (aged 81)|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Known for||Co-founder of Morgan Stanley|
|Board member of||J.P. Morgan & Co., General|
Electric, Pullman Company,
Harvard Board of Overseers,
Groton School, MoMA
|Children||5, including Henry Jr., John|
|Parent(s)||J. P. Morgan Jr.|
|Relatives||J. P. Morgan (grandfather)|
Early life and education
Morgan was born on October 24, 1900, in London, United Kingdom to John Pierpont Morgan Jr. (1867–1943) and Jane Norton Morgan (née Grew) (d. 1925). His father was the son of John Pierpont Morgan Sr. (1837–1913) and his mother was the daughter of Boston banker and mill owner Henry Sturgis Grew (1833–1910). He was educated at Groton School and graduated from Harvard University in 1923.
In 1923, the same year he graduated from Harvard, he joined J.P. Morgan & Co. and was a partner from 1928 to 1935. In 1935, he co-founded Morgan Stanley together with Harold Stanley when the Glass–Steagall Act forced the separation on investment banking and commercial banking.
At the death of his father in 1943, he and his brother, Junius Spencer Morgan III, inherited the estate. Morgan owned a 448-acre (1.81 km2) estate, which is located at Eaton's Neck Road, Eatons Neck, New York, United States.
On June 26, 1923, he married Catherine Frances Lovering Adams (1902–1988), daughter of Frances Lovering and Charles Francis Adams III, the U.S. Secretary of the Navy under Hoover, and a direct descendant of U.S. Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams. The couple had five sons:
- Henry Sturgis Morgan Jr. (1924–2011), a Navy Rear Admiral and maritime lawyer
- Charles Francis Morgan, who was a Morgan Stanley executive, who married Sarah Baldwin Lambert in 1960.
- Miles Morgan ( b.November 1, 1928)
- John Adams Morgan (b. 1930), who married four times, including to Sonja Tremont (b. 1963)
- Peter Angus Morgan (1938–2013).
Activities and interests
Morgan was trustee, president and chairman of The Morgan Library & Museum, served on the boards of J.P. Morgan & Co., General Electric and Pullman Company, served as trustee of the Groton School and Museum of Modern Art and member of the Harvard Board of Overseers. During World War II, Morgan was a commander in the Naval Reserve and served as an OSS Agent.
Like his father, brother and grandfather, he was the Commodore of New York Yacht Club where he served as chairman of its America's Cup Committee. He was also Vice President of International Yacht Racing Union. He was a member of the Bohemian Club, the Council on Foreign Relations, Community Service Society of New York, the Pilgrims Society and the Roxburghe Club.
- "Henry S. Morgan". NNDB. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- "Henry Sturgis Morgan, Banker, 81". Associated Press. February 8, 1982. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- "Sons Get Bulk of Morgan Estate; Many Bequests Made to Employes [sic]". New York Times. March 27, 1943. Retrieved August 14, 2010.
- "MISS ADAMS IS WED TO HENRY S. MORGAN | Boston Girl's Marriage to Banker's Son Is Performed by Bishop Lawrence | AT BRIDE'S CONCORD HOME". The New York Times. 27 June 1923. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- Times, Special To The New York (12 June 1954). "C.F. ADAMS IS DEAD; HEADED U. S. NAVY | Hoover Cabinet Aide, 87, Was Banker, Philanthropist and Civic Leader in Boston | NOTED AS YACHTSMAN | While at Helm of Resolute, He Defeated Shamrock IV - Won 3 Cups in Year". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- New York Times. "J. Pierpont's Second Son Engaged: Henry Sturgis, Harvard Junior, to Wed Miss Catherine Adams of Boston, After Graduation." June 24, 1922, p. 26.
- RADM Henry Morgan Jr. Obituary
- "Paid Notice: Deaths MORGAN, PETER ANGUS MORGAN". The New York Times. 8 April 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Kathleen Christian to Marry Charles Francis Morgan Jr". The New York Times. 15 January 1989. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Sarah Baldwin Lambert Is Married | Bride of Charles F. Morgan in St. James Church". The New York Times. 28 February 1960. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- Columbia, David Patrick; Hirsch, Jeffrey (1 August 2011). "Room to grow". New York Social Diary. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Henry Sturgis Morgan Jr. - Obituary". The Day. May 18, 2011. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- Saxon, Wolfgang (8 February 1982). "HENRY S. MORGAN IS DEAD AT 81; MEMBER OF THE BANKING FAMILY". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "OSS Agent". NNDB. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- "Henry S. Morgan, 2001 Inductee". Herreshoff Marine Museum. Retrieved September 13, 2012.