Henry Theodore Tuckerman
|Henry Bhatiae Tuckerman|
August 20, 1813|
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||December 17, 1871
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Writer, essayist, critic|
|Relatives||Charles Keating Tuckerman (brother)
Edward Tuckerman (cousin)
Samuel Parkman Tuckerman (cousin)
Frederick Goddard Tuckerman (cousin)
Henry Theodore Tuckerman (April 20, 1813 – December 17, 1871) was an American writer, essayist and critic.
Henry Theodore Tuckerman was born on April 20, 1813 in Boston, Massachusetts to Henry Harris Tuckerman (1783–1860) and Ruth Lyman Keating (1787–1823). His parents had the following children: Elizabeth Tuckerman Heath (d. 1847), Henry Theodore Tuckerman, Lucy Keating Tuckerman (1820–1880), Ruth Keating Tuckerman (1821–1896), and Charles Keating Tuckerman (1821–1896). His sister Ruth married Rudolph Bunner, Jr. (1813–1875), the son of Rudolph Bunner (1779–1837), a U.S. Representative from New York.
He was a sympathetic and delicate critic, with a graceful style. He wrote extensively both in prose and verse. He traveled extensively in Italy, which influenced his choice of subjects in his earlier writings. These include The Italian Sketch-book (1835); Isabel, or Sicily: A Pilgrimage (1839); two volumes of verse, Poems (1851) and "A Month In England" 1854. and <Richard Bentley publishers ></ref>A Sheaf of Verse (1864); Thoughts on the Poets (1864); The Criterion, or the Test of Talk About Familiar Things (1866); The Book of the Artists (1867); Leaves from the Diary of a Dreamer, etc. He was prominent in the literary life of New York City after 1845.
Articles that Tuckerman wrote for The Knickerbocker magazine include: Love in a Lazzaret (1838), a vignette from his travels in Italy, New York Artists (1856), Something About Wine (1858), Newport Out of Season (1858), Italia Libera (1861), Paris and Life There (1861), Obituary of John W. Francis, M.D., LL.D. (1861).
- "Henry Theodore Tuckerman". www.findagrave.com. Find A Grave Memorial. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- Tuckerman, Frederick Goddard; ed. by N. Scott Momaday (1965). The Complete Poems of Frederick Goddard Tuckerman. New York: Oxford University Press. p. xvii.
- "DIED". The New York Times. December 19, 1871. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "The Funeral of Henry T. Tuckerman". The New York Times. December 21, 1871. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Cousin, John William (1910). " Tuckerman, Henry Theodore". A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature. London: J. M. Dent & Sons. Wikisource
- This article incorporates public domain text from: Brewer, David J. (1902). Crowned Masterpieces of Literature. St. Louis, Ferd. P. Kaiser.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry Theodore Tuckerman.|
- Works by Henry T. Tuckerman at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Henry Theodore Tuckerman at Internet Archive
- A Defense of Enthusiasm
- Tuckerman quotes
- "Tuckerman, Henry Theodore". The New Student's Reference Work. 1914.
- "Tuckerman, Henry Theodore". New International Encyclopedia. 1905.
- "Tuckerman, Joseph". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. 1900.