Henry Montagu Villiers
|The Right Reverend and Honourable
Henry Montagu Villiers
|Bishop of Durham|
|Diocese||Diocese of Durham|
|In office||1860–1861 (died)|
|Other posts||Bishop of Carlisle (1856–1860)|
4 January 1813|
|Died||9 August 1861
Auckland Castle, County Durham, UK
|Buried||Auckland Castle chapel|
|Residence||Auckland Castle (as Bishop of Durham)|
|Spouse||Amelia Maria Hulton|
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
He was educated at Christ Church, Oxford, graduating M.A. in 1837, and became vicar of Kenilworth in that year rector of St. George's Church, Bloomsbury in 1841, and a canon of St Paul's Cathedral from 1847 to 1856. He was a Doctor of Divinity and Bishop of Carlisle in 1856, and Bishop of Durham from 1860 to 1861.
- Henry Montagu Villiers (13 November 1837 - 9 September 1908). Prebendary of St Paul's Cathedral. Married first Lady Victoria Russell, daughter of John Russell, 1st Earl Russell. Married secondly Charlotte Louisa Emily Cadogan, granddaughter of both George Cadogan, 3rd Earl Cadogan and Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey
- Charles Augustus Villiers, b. Apr 1839
- Frederick Ernest Villiers (16 November 1840 - 14 October 1922), Major of the Hertfordshire Imperial Yeomanry cavalry force.
- Amy Maria Villiers (b. 26 Mar 1842 – d. 20 October 1934), married Edward Cheese, a clergyman.
- Gertrude Fanny Villiers (b. 19 Aug 1843 – d. 31 December 1906), married Berkeley Paget, a great-grandson of Henry Bayly Paget, 1st Earl of Uxbridge.
- Wilbraham Edward Villiers (b. 2 Aug 1845)
- Mary Agneta Villiers (b. 30 Dec 1846 – d. 22 May 1935), married James Hughes Cooper, a clergyman.
- Evelyn Theresa Villiers (b. 23 Aug 1852 – d. 29 December 1943), married the Daniel J. Healy (born Hely-Hutchinson), an Irish naval officer and only son of Capt. Hon. John Healy (d. 1855) and grandson of John 3rd Earl of Donoughmore. They settled in Hampshire and had 3 sons, William, George and Patrick, and 2 daughters.
- "Villiers, Henry Montagu". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- Record of Henry Villiers on thepeerage
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, pages 74, 789 and 800.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Carlisle
|Bishop of Durham
|This article about a Bishop or Prince-Bishop of Durham is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|