Henry Widdowson (also H.G. Widdowson and sometimes Henry G. Widdowson) (born May 28, 1935) is an authority in the field of applied linguistics and language teaching, specifically English language learning and teaching.
Widdowson is perhaps best known for his contribution to communicative language teaching. However, he has also published on other related subjects such as discourse analysis and critical discourse analysis, the global spread of English, English for Special Purposes and stylistics. The Routledge Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning calls him "probably the most influential philosopher of the late twentieth century for international ESOL" (674).
Widdowson is Emeritus Professor of Education, University of London, and has also been Professor of Applied Linguistics at the University of Essex and Professor of English Linguistics at the University of Vienna. He is the Applied Linguistics adviser to Oxford University Press and series adviser of Oxford Bookworms Collection. Widdowson is co-editor of Language Teaching: A Scheme for Teacher Education. He is the series editor of Oxford Introductions to Language Study and the author of Linguistics (1996) in the same series. He has also published Defining Issues in English Language Teaching (2002), and Practical Stylistics: An Approach to Poetry (1992).
His most recent book is Text, Context, Pretext. Critical Issues in Discourse Analysis (2004), published by Blackwell's.
Articles (brief extract)
- Widdowson, Henry G. (1992) "ELT and EL Teacher." ELT Journal 46/4. 333-339.
- Widdowson, Henry G. (1993) "Proper Words in proper Places." ELT Journal 47/4. 317-329.
- Widdowson Henry G. (1994) "The Ownership of English". TESOL Quarterly 28/2 377-89.
- Widdowson, Henry G. (1997) "EIL, ESL, EFL: global Issues and local Interests". World Englishes 16/1. 146-53.
- Widdowson, Henry G. (1998a) " EIL: squaring the Circles. A Reply." World Englishes 17/3 397-401.
- Widdowson, Henry G. (1998b) "Communication and Community. The Pragmatics of ESP." English for Specific Purposes 17/1 3-14.
- Widdowson, Henry G. (1998c) "The Theory and Practice of Critical Discourse Analysis." Applied Linguistics 19/1 136-151.