Henry of Scotland
|Died||12 June 1152|
|Spouse||Ada de Warenne|
|Father||David I of Scotland|
|Mother||Maud, 2nd Countess of Huntingdon|
|Henry of Scotland: penny|
|hENRICVS •[F RE?], crowned bust right, sceptre before||+EREBALD: ON [C]OREB:, cross moline with fleur in each angle within tressure.|
|AR 1,18 gm, 10h. Corbridge mint; moneyer: (H)erebald|
Henry of Scotland (Eanric mac Dabíd, 1114 – 12 June 1152) was heir apparent to the Kingdom of Alba. He was also the 3rd Earl of Northumberland and the 3rd Earl of Huntingdon. He was the son of King David I of Scotland and Queen Maud, 2nd Countess of Huntingdon. Henry was named after his uncle, King Henry I of England, who had married his paternal aunt Edith.
David, Henry's father, invaded England in 1136. His army was met by Stephen of Blois at Carlisle. Instead of battle, there was a negotiated settlement that included Henry performing homage to Stephen for Carlisle and the Earldom of Huntingdon. Henry's journey to Stephen's court for Easter (1136) was met with resentment, including an accusation of treason, which brought about his return at his father's insistence.
After another invasion by his father, Henry was finally invested with the Earldom of Northumberland in 1139. Later in the year, Henry met with Stephen at Nottingham, where he was also reinvested with Carlisle and Cumberland. At which time Henry paid homage to Stephen for his Earldom.
Henry's inclusion into King Stephen's inner circle was highlighted by his arranged marriage to Ada de Warenne. This marriage secured Henry's place within Stephen's kingdom. Following Stephen's capture by forces of Empress Matilda, Henry held the Earldom of Northumberland as a Scottish fief.
On Henry's death, the Earldom passed to his half-brother Simon II de Senlis.
- Ada of Huntingdon (1139-1206), married in 1161, Floris III, Count of Holland.
- Margaret of Huntingdon (1140–1201)
- Malcolm IV of Scotland. (1141-1165) 
- William I of Scotland (c.1142-1214)
- David of Scotland, 8th Earl of Huntingdon. (1143-1219) 
- Matilda (or Maud) of Huntingdon, died unmarried in 1152.
- Marjorie of Huntingdon, married Gille Críst, Earl of Angus.
|Ancestors of Henry of Scotland|
- Oram 2011, p. 372.
- Oram 2011, p. iii.
- Oram 2011, p. 90.
- Oram 2011, p. 91.
- Oram 2011, p. 95.
- Oram 2011, p. 96.
- Oram 2011, p. 99.
- Everard & Jones 1999, p. 93.
- English Monarchs: Dynasties. (Copyright © 2004 - 2018). http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/dunkeld_16.html. [biog. of Henry of Scotland, Earl of Huntingdon (born c. 1115 – died 1152)]: “Henry's youngest daughter, Marjorie of Huntingdon, married Gille Críst, Earl of Angus.”
- Roberts, John L., Lost Kingdoms: Celtic Scotland in the Middle Ages, (Edinburgh, 1997), pp. 53–54: (author states, “Almost nothing is known of him [Gille Críst, ‘Earl of Angus’] except that he married Marjorie of Huntingdon, the daughter of Henry, Earl of Huntingdon and Ada de Warenne, and that he was succeeded by his son Donnchad before 1206. His daughter Bethóc (Beatrix) was married to Walter Stewart, 3rd High Steward of Scotland and was mother to Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland.”).
- Barlow, Professor Frank, The Feudal Kingdom of England 1012 - 1216, London,1955, tree opposite p.288.
- Burke, John & John Bernard, The Royal Families of England, Scotland, and Wales, with their Descendants, Sovereigns and Subjects, London, 1851, vol.2, page xlvii and pedigree XXIX.
- Dunbar, Sir Archibald H., Bt., Scottish Kings, a Revised Chronology of Scottish History, 1005 - 1625, Edinburgh, 1899, p.64-65.
- Everard, Judith; Jones, Michael C. E., eds. (1999). The Charters of Duchess Constance of Brittany and Her Family, 1171-1221. The Boydell Press.
- Howard, Joseph Jackson, LL.D., F.S.A., Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, New Series, volume I, London, 1874, p.337.
- Oram, Richard (2011). Domination and Lordship: Scotland, 1070-1230. Edinburgh University Press.
- Stringer, Keith, "Senlis, Simon (II) de, earl of Northampton and earl of Huntingdon (d. 1153)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 20 May 2007
Henry of ScotlandBorn: ? 1114 Died: 12 June 1152
|Earl of Huntingdon
Simon de Senlis
Simon de Senlis
|Earl of Huntingdon
Title last held byRobert de Mowbray
|Earl of Northumbria
William fitz Henry