|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 7th Legislative District
January 13, 1998
Serving with Troy Singleton
|Preceded by||Diane Allen
January 30, 1963 |
Trenton, New Jersey
|Residence||Moorestown, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||B.A. Princeton University (Politics)
M.D. Jefferson Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
J.D. Rutgers School of Law—Newark
|Website||Legislative web page|
Herbert C. Conaway, Jr., commonly known as Herb Conaway (born January 30, 1963) is an American Democratic Party politician, who has served in the New Jersey General Assembly since 1998, where he represents the 7th Legislative District.
Conaway was born at St. Francis Medical Center in Trenton on January 30, 1963 to Eva Christine Conaway (née Godard), a nurse at the hospital, and Herb Conaway, Sr., a history teacher at Bordentown Regional High School. He grew up in Bordentown attending high school there. Conaway graduated with a B.A. from Princeton University in Politics, received an M.D. degree from Jefferson Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University and was awarded a J.D. from Rutgers School of Law—Newark. He is the only member of the legislature to hold both a medical degree and law degree. Conaway later served in the United States Air Force Medical Corps from 1992 to 1996, reaching the rank of Captain. He served at McGuire Air Force Base in Burlington County as general medical officer and as assistant director of the primary care clinic.
He continues to practice medicine whilst serving in the legislature. He specializes in internal medicine and currently serves as director of the internal medicine clinic at St. Francis Medical Center in Trenton. He formerly worked at Cooper University Hospital and had a practice in Willingboro. Formerly a resident of Delanco Township, he now lives in Moorestown.
Conaway was first elected to the General Assembly from the 7th District in 1997 as the top vote getter. The same election saw his running mate and second-place finisher, Jack Conners, be seated then removed due to voting machine issues. Conners was subsequently elected in a 1998 special election and the two served together from the 7th district from that point until 2011 when Conners resigned. Since late 2011, his Assembly associate from the district has been Troy Singleton.
He served as the Assembly's Deputy Speaker from 2002 to 2005. Conaway serves on the Health and Senior Services Committee (as Chair), the State Government Committee (as Vice-Chair) and the Appropriations Committee.
Calling the proposed bill a "recipe for disaster" that could result in the spread of disease, Conaway rejected legislation proposed by Assemblywoman Charlotte Vandervalk that would give parents the right to exclude their children from mandatory vaccinations, after hearings held in March 2011 by the Assembly Health and Senior Services Committee.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 7th District for the 2014-2015 Legislative Session are:
- "Assemblyman Herb Conaway, Jr., M.D. Bio Page". NJ Assembly Majority Office. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Staff (July 25, 2014). "Rest in Peace: Eva Christine Conaway". Politicker NJ. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Kitchenman, Andrew (May 20, 2015). "Profile: Assemblyman Brings Physician’s Perspective to Healthcare Issues". NJ Spotlight. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Assemblyman Conaway's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed November 18, 2013.
- Herb Conaway, M.D. profile, Denison for State Senate / Conaway & Conners for State Assembly. Accessed August 8, 2007. Archived July 7, 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Assembly Member Herbert C. 'Herb' Conaway Jr., Project Vote Smart. Accessed August 8, 2007.
- Staff. "CONNERS ORDERED TO LEAVE ASSEMBLY \ A DISPUTED ELECTION LED TO A RULING THAT A REPUBLICAN MUST TAKE HIS SEAT, SETTING STAGE FOR REMATCH WITH KEN FAULKNER.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 3, 1998. Accessed June 23, 2010.
- Friedman, Matt. "N.J. Assemblyman rejects parents' plea for more say on kids' vaccinations", The Star-Ledger, March 8, 2011. Accessed march 17, 2011.
- Mansnerus, Laura. "ON POLITICS; Clueless in New Jersey, Or Refreshingly Out of Touch?", The New York Times, November 7, 2004. Accessed July 23, 2009.
- Legislative Roster 2014-2015 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 22, 2014.
- Assemblyman Conaway's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Assemblyman Herb Conaway website
- Assembly Member Herbert C. 'Herb' Conaway Jr., Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Voter Information Website 2003
|New Jersey General Assembly|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 7th District
January 13, 1998 – present
With: Jack Conners, Ken Faulkner, Troy Singleton