Herbert Pardes (born July 7, 1932) is an American physician, psychiatrist, and the Executive Vice Chairman of NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital. He was president of Presbyterian Hospital when it merged with New York Hospital. Eventually he became CEO of the combined entity, NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital and retired in 2011. He is a national figure in psychiatry and academic medicine.
Education and career
Dr. Pardes received his Bachelor of Science degree summa cum laude from Rutgers University in 1956 and his medical degree from the State University of New York-Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn in 1960.
From 1978 to 1984, he was director of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), where he strengthened the Institute's research program and emphasized the need to increase research support for psychiatry.
From 1989 he was president of American Psychiatric Association (APA).
He is a former Dean of the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Before becoming dean, Pardes was chair of Columbia's Department of Psychiatry, where he remains a professor.
He is also a member of Institute of Medicine, president of Scientific Board of the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD), a charter associate member of the National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association (NDMDA), and a regular advisor to National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, and Mental Health America Association.
Pardes was a member of the board of directors, audit and compensation committees of Value Line Incorporated (NASDAQ:VALU). Dr. Pardes was removed "without cause" from all Value Line committees and the board of directors April 16, 2010.
In 2008 Pardes received compensation of more than nine million dollars, along with other benefits.
On November 13, 2009, John J. Mack, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, informed staff "that Dr. Herb Pardes has decided to retire at the end of 2011 as our President and Chief Executive Officer … While Dr. Pardes is stepping down as CEO at the end of 2011, the intention is that he will continue to play a vital role at the hospital beyond that time."
- A Look at Psychiatric Education, Herbert Pardes, M.D. Academic Psychiatry, 30:2,(98-99) March–April 2006
- NIMH during the tenure of Director Herbert Pardes, M.D. (1978-1984): The President's Commission on Mental Health and the reemergence of NIMH's scientific mission.
- Genetics and Psychiatry: Past Discoveries, Current Dilemmas, and Future Directions.Pardes, Herbert; Kaufmann, Charles A; Pincus, Harold Alan; West, Anne 
- "Value Line SEC FORM 8-K", April 16, 2010
- Academic Psychiatry, 30:2,(98-99) March–April 2006
- The American Journal of Psychiatry, 1998
- The American Journal of Psychiatry; Apr 1989; 146, 4; Platinum Periodicals pg. 435-443
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herbert Pardes.|
- "Columbia's Herbert Pardes Named President And CEO of New York Presbyterian Hospital", Columbia News, Dec 16, 1999.
- "Dr. Herbert Pardes Named to Markle Foundation Board of Director", New York-Presbyterian Hospital News, New York, NY, Mar 17, 2004
- "Value Line Form 10K SEC filing", April 30, 2009