Richard Herbert Rich (October 7, 1928, in Newark, New Jersey – March 28, 2008) was an American football safety in the National Football League for the Baltimore Colts, Los Angeles Rams and New York Giants.
Rich was Jewish. He played college football at Vanderbilt University, as well as basketball and baseball.
Rich was drafted in the sixth round of the 1950 NFL Draft. In his rookie season he averaged 23 yards on 12 punt returns, an NFL record. He was twice an All-Pro defensive back.
After his football career ended, Rich was an attorney in Nashville.
Rich died at 79 years of age in 2008.
- ^ a b "Herb Rich, former NFL star, dies at 79". Nfl.com. November 18, 2008. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- ^ Day by day in Jewish sports history. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- ^ a b c Nashville's Jewish Community. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- ^ Football in Baltimore: history and memorabilia. 2000. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- ^ Get Your Own Damn Beer, I'm Watching the Game!: A Woman's Guide to Loving Pro Football. Rodale. 2005. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- ^ NFL Football Top 10. DK Pub. 2002. Retrieved January 12, 2011.