Herbal cigarettes (also called tobacco-free cigarettes or nicotine-free cigarettes) are cigarettes that do not contain any tobacco, instead being composed of a mixture of various herbs and/or other plant material. Such cigarettes are not to be confused with non-additive or natural tobacco cigarette varieties. Like herbal smokeless tobacco, they are often used as a substitute for standard tobacco products (primarily cigarettes), and many times are promoted as a tobacco cessation aid. Herbal cigarettes are also used in acting scenes by performers who are non-smokers, or—as is becoming increasingly common—where anti-smoking legislation prohibits the use of tobacco in public spaces.
Paper and filter
A wide range of consumable products may be used as a filling, in lieu of tobacco. Corn silk and a number of flavorful herbs, such as mint, cinnamon or lemongrass, have been utilized by a wide number of herbal cigarette producers. Other manufacturers have included non-herbs like rose petals or clover leaves. Some use the flavorless bagasse and make the herbal cigarette depend on the flavoring; this is especially common in shisha. Some are made with dried lettuce.
Herbal cigarettes are not viewed as physically addictive, as they do not contain addictive substances.
- "Alert over herbal cigarettes". BBC News. February 5, 1999.
- McLean, Craig (January 3, 2011). "Rufus Sewell interview". The Daily Telegraph. London.
- "Will the Herbal-Cigarette Ban Make a Quitter Out of Don Draper? - Newsweek and The Daily Beast". Thedailybeast.com. 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- What to Stream Now. "'Mad Men' Star Jon Hamm on Smoking Clove Cigarettes - Vulture". Nymag.com. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- Thompson, Dennis (2011-08-31). "Are Herbal and "Natural" Cigarettes Safer? - Smoking Cessation Center". EverydayHealth.com. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
-  Archived January 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/20111230051651/http://www.honeyrose.co.uk:80/prod.html. Archived from the original on December 30, 2011. Retrieved January 13, 2012. Missing or empty
- Montesines, Prosy B (2008-01-19). "Herbal 'cigarette' may help smokers quit". Inquirer.net. Retrieved March 30, 2012.