Sir Herbert Butcher
|Member of Parliament for Holland with Boston|
24 June 1937 – 31 March 1966
|Preceded by||James Blindell|
|Succeeded by||Richard Body|
|Mayor of Hackney|
|Preceded by||Henry Goodrich|
|Succeeded by||Henry Capell|
Herbert Walter Butcher
12 June 1901
|Died||11 May 1966(aged 64)|
|Political party||Liberal National (before 1948)|
National Liberal (1948-1968)
Conservative (after 1968)
Butcher was the son of Frank Butcher. He was educated at Hastings Grammar School, and served in the Royal Navy during World War I, from 1916 to 1919. He was as a Hackney Borough Councillor from 1928 to 1961, serving as Mayor of Hackney from 1935 to 1937.
He was elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Holland with Boston at a by-election in June 1937, after the death of the National Liberal MP Sir James Blindell. He held the seat at the next six general elections until his retirement at the 1966 general election, when Richard Body was elected as his successor.
From 1950 to 1951, Butcher was Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Civil Lord of the Admiralty, Walter "Stoker" Edwards. after serving as a Lord of the Treasury from 1951 to 1953. In 1958, he advised his friend and parliamentary colleague John Poulson to set up a servicing company to win business for his architect's practice.
After 29 years as an MP, Butcher died less than two months after his retirement, aged 64.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 3)
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 414. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- Stenton, Michael; Lees, Stephens (1981). Who's Who of British Members of Parliament: Volume IV, 1945–1979. Brighton: The Harvester Press. p. 51. ISBN 0-85527-335-6.
- "No. 34413". The London Gazette. 29 June 1937. p. 4174.
- "No. 39777". The London Gazette. 13 February 1953. p. 906.
- "No. 42105". The London Gazette. 29 July 1960. p. 5227.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Herbert Butcher