|Sir Herbert Miles|
Lieutenant General Sir Herbert Miles c.1913
|Born||31 July 1850|
|Died||6 May 1926(aged 75)|
|Years of service||1869–1918|
|Commands held||British Troops in the Cape Colony
Staff College, Camberley
|Battles/wars||Second Boer War
First World War
|Awards||Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire
Commander of the Royal Victorian Order
Mentioned in Despatches (2)
Grand Officer of the Legion of Honour (France)
Grand Officer of the Order of the Crown of Italy
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic (Spain)
Lieutenant General Sir Herbert Scott Gould Miles, GCB, GCMG, GBE, CVO (31 July 1850 – 6 May 1926) was a senior British Army officer. He was Quartermaster-General to the Forces from 1908 to 1912, and Governor of Gibraltar from 1913 until 1918 during the First World War.
He then rejoined the army becoming Deputy Assistant Quartermaster-General at the War Office in 1889 and then Assistant Adjutant-General at Aldershot Command in 1893. In 1898 he was appointed Commandant of the Staff College, Camberley.
He served in the Second Boer War, from early February 1900 as Deputy Adjutant-General and Chief of Staff for the Natal Field Force. After the war he returned to his role at the Staff College and then, in 1903, became Commander of British Troops in the Cape Colony District. He was appointed Director of Recruiting and Organisation at Army Headquarters in 1904 and Quartermaster-General to the Forces in 1908.
- The London Gazette: . 2 February 1869. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
- "The War – Appointments" The Times (London). Saturday, 3 February 1900. (36056), p. 12.
- "CENSUS ACT (2012 CENSUS) REGULATIONS 2012" (PDF). Gibraltar Government. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Felipes, Tito Benady ; with illustrations by George (1996). The streets of Gibraltar : a short history. Grendon: Gibraltar Books. p. 40. ISBN 0948466375.
- Obituary of Lieut.-General Sir Herbert Miles, The Times, 21 May 1926 (pg. 11; Issue 44277; col E)
|Commandant of the Staff College, Camberley
Sir Henry Rawlinson
Sir William Nicholson
|Quartermaster-General to the Forces
Sir John Cowans
Sir Archibald Hunter
|Governor of Gibraltar
Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien