|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
He developed the Sichel-t estimator for the log-normal distribution's t-statistic. He also made great leaps in the area of the generalized inverse Gaussian distribution which became known as the Sichel distribution.
He established the Operational Research Bureau in 1952. He was appointed as professor in Statistics and Operations Research in the Graduate Business School of the University of the Witwatersrand. He has been recognized as "one of the grand old men of the SA Statistical Association". In 1958 he was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association.
The Herbert Sichel medal was established in 1997 and is awarded annually to the best statistics paper published in a South African journal in the previous year.
- Faculty of Commerce – University of Cape Town
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-07-23.
- University of Cape Town: Statistics paper wins UCT's first Sichel Medal 19 November 2008
- https://web.archive.org/web/20060923050607/http://saturn.cs.unp.ac.za/~orssa/history_content.htmVarious historical references
- Practical applications of some of Dr Sichel's work
|This article about a statistician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|