|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
Herbertstown (Irish: Baile Hiobaird) is a village in the barony of Small County, County Limerick, Ireland. It is also part of the ecclesiastical parish of "Hospital and Herbertstown", in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly.
The eastern part of the village is in the civil parish of Ballinard which contains only 4 townlands:
- Ballinard (Irish: Baile an Aird)
- Ballyloundash (Irish: Baile Londáis)
- Cloghaviller (Irish: Cloch an Bhiolair meaning "the stone (structure) of the watercress")
- Rootiagh (Irish: Ruaiteach).
The River Camogue flows to the west of the village, parallel to the main street with the land in between liable to flooding. It is a tributory of the River Maigue.
The present barony of Small County was the ancient Deis-Beg. In this district is the hill now called Knockainy (with the village of Knockainy at its foot), formerly called Ainè, or Ainè-Clich, from the territory of Cliach or Ara-Cliach, which lay round the hill. The main clans in the barony were:
- O'Ciarmhaie (or O'Kerwick), chief of Eoganacht Aine (now the parish of Knockaney)
- O'Muldoon, also a chief of Eoganacht Aine, same as O' Kerwick.
- O'Kenealy, chief of Eoganacht Grian Guara, a district comprising parts of the baronies of Coshma and Small County.
- O'Gunning, chief of Crioch Saingil and Aosgreine. Both the territories are comprised in the barony of Small County.
Post Act of Union
Quoting Lewis's "Topography": "It is a constabulary police station, and has large pig fairs on Jan. 15th, March 17th, June 28th, and Nov. 7th. Here is a large R. C. chapel, which was erected in 1836 at an expense of £800."
Services and Amenities
The village has two pubs, a post office, a Catholic church and a farmers' co-op. Local sports clubs include
- Herbertstown AFC.
- Hospital-Herbertstown GAA club.
Lough Gur is nearby.
- Placenames Database of Ireland -Herbertstown
- Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly: parish of "Hospital & Herbertstown".
- P. W. JOYCE, LL.D: ATLAS AND CYCLOPEDIA OF IRELAND, 1900.
- O'Hart: Irish Pedigrees, The Territories of the Ancient Irish Families in Limerick and Thomond, 1876.
- Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
- Herbertstown Co-operative Agricultural and Dairy Society