- For his family members of the same name, see Herb Matthews (disambiguation).
|Full name||Herbie Matthews|
|Date of birth||20 November 1913|
|Date of death||8 June 1990(aged 76)|
|Height||177 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||76 kg (168 lb)|
|1932–1945||South Melbourne||191 (17)|
|Representative team honours|
|1939, 1954–1957||South Melbourne||90 (27–62–1)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1945.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Herbie Matthews (20 November 1913 – 8 June 1990) was an Australian rules footballer who played for South Melbourne in the Victorian Football League (VFL). He was recruited to South Melbourne from suburban club Fairfield under the VFL's father–son rule. His father, "Butcher" Matthews, partnered the great Roy Cazaly in South Melbourne's ruck combination of the early 1920s. Although he was smaller and slighter in build than his ruckman father, he was a strong mark and showed a ferocious drive for possession of the football. He was recruited by South Melbourne at the age of 17 in the face of determined approaches from Collingwood and his local Victorian Football Association club, Northcote.
A centreman and wingman with great pace, stamina and skills, he was awarded the Brownlow Medal in 1940 and was runner-up on another two occasions. He won his club's best and fairest award five times and captained them from 1938 until 1945.
In 1997 Matthews was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame and in 2003 was named on the wing in South Melbourne's official Team of the Century.
- Branagan, Mark and Lefebvre, Mike, Bloodstained Angels, The Rise & Fall of the Foreign Legion, 1995, self-published, Melbourne, Australia, page 7
- "Over 700 at S.M.F.C. Meeting". Record. Emerald Hill, VIC. 16 February 1946. p. 1.
- "Oakleigh appoints a new coach". Record. Emerald Hill, VIC. 6 December 1947. p. 1.
- Ross, John (1999). The Australian Football Hall of Fame. Australia: HarperCollinsPublishers. p. 92. ISBN 0-7322-6426-X.
- AFL Hall of Fame
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herbie Matthews.|
- Herbie Matthews's playing statistics from AFL Tables