Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now
Cover of the first edition
|Author||Ayaan Hirsi Ali|
|Subject||Criticism of Islam|
|Preceded by||Nomad: From Islam to America|
Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now is a 2015 book by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, in which the author advocates that a Muslim reformation is the only way to end the horrors of terrorism, sectarian warfare and the repression of women and minorities.
Despite noting that "[Ali] loses the reader's trust with overblown rhetoric," Susan Dominus of The New York Times remarked, "Unquestionably, Hirsi Ali poses challenging questions about whether American liberals should be fighting harder for the rights of Muslim women in countries where they are oppressed, and she is fearless in using shock tactics to jump-start a conversation. [...] There is no denying that her words are brave. Whether they are persuasive is another matter." Andrew Anthony of The Guardian wrote, "Even her fiercest detractors would struggle to deny much of what Hirsi Ali states about the current predicament within Islam. Unfortunately that doesn't make it any more palatable, particularly in an era dominated by the modern commandment not to offend anyone." He added, "Whatever one may think of her solutions, Hirsi Ali should be commended for her unblinking determination to address the problem."
Five Theses for Islamic Reformation
Ayaan Hirsi Ali proposes five theses for islamic reformation:
- Ensure that Muhammad and the Qur'an are open to interpretation and criticism.
- Give priority to this life not the afterlife.
- Shackle sharia and end its supremacy over secular law
- End the practice of "commanding right, forbidding wrong".
- Abandon the call to jihad
- Hirsi Ali, Ayaan (4 April 2015). ""Islam is not a religion of peace": Ayaan Hirsi Ali explains why Western liberals need to speak up -- and why Islam needs a reformation now". Salon. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
We need to hold Islam accountable for the acts of its most violent adherents and demand that it reform or disavow the key beliefs that are used to justify those acts.
- Dominus, Susan (April 1, 2015). "Ayaan Hirsi Ali's 'Heretic'". The New York Times. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Anthony, Andrew (27 April 2015). "Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now by Ayaan Hirsi Ali – review". The Guardian. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Ayaan, H.A., 2016. Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now, Harper Paperbacks, p. 74.
|This article about an Islamic studies book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|