Heritage House (Compton, California)
|Location||205 S. Willowbrook Ave, Compton, Ca|
|Designated||Nov. 05, 1958|
The Heritage House is the oldest remaining house in Compton, California. It was built in 1869 on 209 South Acacia Street. In 1869, when A. R. Loomis built, the home had two rooms, later owners added more rooms. The Heritage House was designated a California Historic Landmark (No. 664) on Nov. 05, 1958. In 1959 the home was purchased by the City of Compton and moved to NW corner of Willowbrook Ave and Myrrh Street in Compton. Since then the home has been restored and refurnished as a reminder of the early settlers of the community.
A.R. Loomis sold the home to the Gaines family. The house stood on Acacia street, renamed Lemon Street, renamed Main Street and then renamed Compton Boulevard until it was moved by the city. The City purchased the land and home to built new a fire station. Known as the oldest home in Compton, there was a public call to protect the home. The City of Compton moved the home to city owned land next to the Compton City Hall, in the City Civic Center. City volunteers helped in the move of the home with money, labor and materials. After the homes restoration it was turned into a museum. The museum was decorated to look like a home in 1860s and 1870s. Most of the museum's decorations were donated. On April 14, 1958 the museum had an opening ceremony. The care and upkeep of museum was given to the non-profit organization Native Daughters of the Golden West.     
California Historical Marker on the site reads:
- As originally built in 1869 by A. R. Loomis, the house had only two rooms, but other rooms were added by subsequent occupants. It was marked as the 'Oldest House in Compton' in 1955 - in 1957, it was purchased by the city and moved from 209 South Acacia Street to its present site. It has been restored, refurnished, and renamed by the citizens of Compton as a tribute to early settlers of the community.
- California Historical Landmarks in Los Angeles County
- List of California Ranchos
- Ranchos of Los Angeles County, California
- Dominguez Rancho Adobe in Compton, California
- Lummis House is California Historic Landmark (No. 531) in Los Angeles.