Heritage Orchestra is a 30 to 60-piece orchestra that collaborates with present-day artists from the mainstream and experimental worlds of music and art. It is currently resident at the De La Warr Pavilion in East Sussex. In 2010, The Heritage Orchestra was nominated in the 9th Independent Music Awards and won the Contemporary Classical Album award for their performance of G. Prokofiev Concerto for Turntables along with DJ Yoda.
Heritage Orchestra was founded in June 2004 by Producer/Manager Christopher Wheeler and Conductor/Composer Jules Buckley. Chris was profiled in 2011 as one of the "cultural engineers" of Honda's Dream Factory.
Sound and production
The orchestra performs using amplification, sound design, and other creative technologies that provide more layers to consider amidst the existing strings, brass, woodwind, percussion, and rhythm section. The ensemble nearly always performs using sound reinforcement, allowing for more flexibility and combinations of sounds. The ensemble also works closely with visual artists and light designers to creative immersive multi-sensory shows. Described as cinematic jazz/funk by outlar.com, they have also been classified as Nu-jazz and Acoustic in nature.
- 2005 - Montreux Jazz Festival appearance for an evening organized by Gilles Peterson in July 2005.
- 2008 - Vangelis’s Blade Runner soundtrack for Massive Attack’s Meltdown Festival at the Royal Festival Hall in June 2008.
- 2010 - John Cale performance of Paris 1919 at the Royal Festival Hall in March 2010 and the Theatre Royal, Norwich in May 2010.
- 2010 - Jamie Cullum performance in the Royal Albert Hall during the Proms 2010.
- 2010 - Tim Minchin Tour 2010. In addition they also appeared on his live DVD and CD, Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra, released in November 2011
- 2015 - Radio 1 Ibiza Prom on 29 July as part of the BBC Proms season
- The Heritage Orchestra (Brownswood Recordings, 2006)
- Birth Of A Nation (Red Cab Records, 2010)
- UNKLE and The Heritage Orchestra Presents 'Variation Of A Theme' Live At The Union Chapel (Surrender All, 2014)
- Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra (Laughing Stock Productions, 2015)
- "Album Nominees : 9th Annual Independent Music Awards". Independentmusicawards.com. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Heritage orchestra: No ordinary orchestra". Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Name: The Heritage Orchestra - Nu-Jazz, Funk, Acoustic". Outlar.com. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "The Heritage Orchestra". Montreuxjazzlive.com. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- [dead link]
- Tim Burrows (8 March 2010). "John Cale and the Heritage Orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall, review". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- John Fordham. "Jamie Cullum/Heritage Orchestra". the Guardian. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Catherine Jones. "REVIEW: Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra at the ECHO arena". liverpoolecho. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Tim Minchin · A Big, Juicy Tim Minchin and The Heritage Orchestra DVD Announcement!". Tim Minchin. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Prom 16: Late Night With BBC Radio 1". BBC. Retrieved 5 August 2015.