|Born||July 1, 1923|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Thesis||Studentization in testing of hypotheses (1948)|
|Doctoral advisor||Abraham Wald|
Herman Chernoff (born July 1, 1923) is an American applied mathematician, statistician and physicist. He was formerly a professor at University of Illinois Urbana–Champaign, Stanford, and MIT, currently emeritus at Harvard University.
Early life and education
Herman Chernoff's parents were Pauline and Max Chernoff, Jewish immigrants from Russia. He studied at Townsend Harris High School and earned a B.S. in mathematics from the City College of New York in 1943. He attended graduate school at Brown University, earning an M.Sc. in applied mathematics in 1945, and a Ph.D. in applied mathematics in 1948 under the supervision of Abraham Wald.
Chernoff became a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1974, and was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1980. In 1987 he was selected for the Wilks Memorial Award by the American Statistical Association, and in 2012 he was made an inaugural fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Chernoff bound (also known as Chernoff's inequality)
- Chernoff face
- Chernoff's distribution
- ^ Bather, John (1996). "A conversation with Herman Chernoff". Statistical Science. 11 (4): 335–350. doi:10.1214/ss/1032280306.
- ^ a b "Herman Chernoff". MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- ^ a b "Herman Chernoff". Faculty directory. MIT. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- ^ "Herman Chernoff". Mathematics Genealogy Project. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- ^ "Herman Chernoff". Member Directory. American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- ^ "Herman Chernoff". Member directory. National Academy of Sciences.
- ^ "Samuel S Wilks Award of the American Statistical Association". MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.
- ^ List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-10
- Chernoff's faculty profile at Harvard.
- Chernoff's faculty profile at MIT.
- Chernoff's biography on the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.
- Chernoff's author profile on MathSciNet.
- Chernoff's profile on Mathematics Genealogy.
- Chernoff's author profile on Google Scholar.
- 1923 births
- Members of the United States National Academy of Sciences
- Living people
- 20th-century American mathematicians
- 21st-century American mathematicians
- American statisticians
- 21st-century American physicists
- Harvard University faculty
- Presidents of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- Fellows of the American Statistical Association
- Brown University alumni
- Fellows of the American Mathematical Society
- Jewish American scientists
- Townsend Harris High School alumni
- Mathematicians from New York (state)
- 21st-century American Jews
- Mathematical statisticians
- Statistician stubs