Herman Koch in 2015
5 September 1953|
|Pen name||Menno Voorhof|
|Notable works||The Dinner (2009)|
Herman Koch (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɦɛrmɑn kɔx]; born 5 September 1953) is a Dutch writer and actor. He has written short stories, novels, and columns. His best-selling novel The Dinner (2009) has been translated into 21 languages. He has acted for radio, television, and film. He co-created the long-running TV series Jiskefet (1990–2005).
Early life and education
Koch is an actor for radio, television, and film. He contributed to the comedy show Borát (1984–1989) for radio. Together with Kees Prins and Michiel Romeyn, Koch created the long-running absurdist and satiric series Jiskefet (1990–2005; Trash Can) for television, in which he also acted. And he played minor roles in the movies The Flying Liftboy (1998) and Hè, Gezellig (2014; Hey, Cosy), and the TV series The Flying Liftboy (2000) and Voetbalvrouwen (2007; Footballers' Wives).
Koch is the author of short stories, novels, and columns. His debut was De voorbijganger (1985; The Passerby) with short stories. His first novel was Red ons, Maria Montanelli (1989; Save Us, Maria Montanelli). In 2005, Koch wrote the text for the Grand Dictation of the Dutch Language.
His sixth novel was Het diner (2009; The Dinner), which was translated into 21 languages including English, had sold over one million copies throughout Europe, and won the 2009 NS Audience award (Dutch: NS Publieksprijs). A Dutch play of The Dinner was in theaters in 2012 and a Dutch movie of the book was released in 2013. An Italian movie adaptation, The Dinner (Italian: I Nostri Ragazzi), was released in 2014. An English-language film adaptation, The Dinner, was released in 2017.
- Short stories
- (1985) De voorbijganger (The Passerby)
- (1991) Hansaplast voor een opstandige (Hansaplast for a Rebel), under the pseudonym Menno Voorhof
- (1998) Geen agenda (No Agenda)
- (2001) Schrijven & drinken (Writing & Drinking)
- (2001) Dingetje (Thingy)
- (2003) Alle verhalen (All Stories)
- (2012) Korte geschiedenis van het bedrog (Brief History of Deceit)
- (1989) Red ons, Maria Montanelli (Save Us, Maria Montanelli)
- (1996) Eindelijk oorlog (War at Last)
- (2000) Eten met Emma (Eating With Emma)
- (2003) Odessa Star (Odessa Star)
- (2005) Denken aan Bruce Kennedy (Thinking About Bruce Kennedy)
- (2009) Het diner; English translation: The Dinner (2012) ISBN 9780770437855
- (2011) Zomerhuis met zwembad; English translation: Summer House with Swimming Pool (2014) ISBN 9780804138819
- (2014) Geachte heer M. (Dear Mr. M.)
- (2016) De Greppel (The Ditch)
- (1999) Het evangelie volgens Jodocus (The Gospel According To Judoc)
- (2010) De ideale schoonzoon (The Ideal Son-in-law)
- Radio Books – 'A Brief History of Deceit' by Herman Koch, Radio Netherlands Worldwide, 2009. Retrieved on 14 October 2012.
- (in Dutch) G.J. van Bork, Koch, Herman, Schrijvers en dichters, 2006. Retrieved on 29 May 2013.
- Herman Koch, IMDb. Retrieved on 17 October 2014.
- (in Dutch) Colofon, NTR. Retrieved on 14 July 2013.
- Author: Herman Koch, Dutch Foundation for Literature. Retrieved on 2012-10-14.
- Arifa Akbar, The Dinner, By Herman Koch, trans. Sam Garrett, The Independent, 2012. Retrieved on 18 October 2012.
- (in Dutch) NS Publieksprijs naar Het Diner, NRC Handelsblad, 2009. Retrieved on 29 May 2013.
- (in Dutch) Het diner, Hummelinck Stuurman Theaterbureau. Retrieved on 14 July 2013.
- (in Dutch) Het Diner de Film Archived 29 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved on 22 January 2014.
- Ben Child, "Cate Blanchett cooking up directorial debut with The Dinner", The Guardian, 2013. Retrieved on 4 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Herman Koch, Amalia, de Volkskrant, 2003. Retrieved on 14 July 2013.
- (in Dutch) Herman Koch (interview), Interview: Herman Koch, Margriet, 2011. Retrieved on 14 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herman Koch.|