|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
25 August 1898|
|Died||19 June 1987
|Allegiance|| German Empire
|Years of service||1915–20
|Commands held||490th Infantry Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords|
Behrend was born on 25 August 1898 in Perleberg in the Kingdom of Prussia. He joined the German Army on 1 June 1915. He fought on the Eastern Front of World War I. He was transferred to the 1st Infantry Division on 5 November 1915. While serving with this unit he was promoted to Unteroffizier (corporal) on 29 March 1916. He was promoted to Fähnrich (ensign) in 1917 for his bravery before the enemy and to Leutnant (second lieutenant) the same year.
- Iron Cross (1914) 2nd Class (9 June 1917) & 1st Class (4 November 1918)
- Military Merit Cross, 2nd Class (Mecklenburgisch-Schwerinsches-Verdienstkreuz) (2 January 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (21 January 1935)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (12 May 1940) & 1st Class (10 June 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal (29 July 1942)
- Infantry Assault Badge in Silver (20 April 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939) in Silver (29 July 1942) & in Gold (2 February 1944)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Thomas & Wegmann 1987, p. 366.
- Thomas 1997, p. 38.
- Thomas & Wegmann 1987, p. 368.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 212.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz; Wegmann, Günter (1987). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil III: Infanterie Band 1: A–Be [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the German Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Part III: Infantry Volume 1: A–Be] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-1153-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.
Generalmajor Ernst Wißelinck
|Commander of Division Nr. 490/490. Infantrie-Division
1 April 1945 – 8 May 1945