This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President of the Irish Freedom Party|
|Assumed office |
8 September 2018
|Director of Communications for Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy|
|Assumed office |
Derry, Northern Ireland
|Political party||Irish Freedom Party|
|Education||St Columb's College|
|Alma mater||St Patrick's College, Maynooth|
Hermann Patrick Kelly (born 1968) is an Irish journalist and political candidate who wrote for the Irish Mail on Sunday and is a former editor of The Irish Catholic. He has also written for The Sunday Times, Sunday Independent, Sunday Mirror, The Sunday Business Post and Magill magazine. Kelly is currently Director of Communications for the Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy group in the European Parliament. In September 2018 he took part in the launch of the Irexit Freedom To Prosper Party.
Early life and education
Kathy O'Beirne criticism
In 2007, Kelly wrote a book disputing the claims made in a book by Kathy O'Beirne, Don't Ever Tell, in which O'Beirne described childhood abuse she had reputedly suffered in a Magdalene Asylum. He claimed that initial doubts that he had while reading her book were confirmed by inconsistencies in different accounts she had given, and later confirmed by various witnesses and documentary evidence. He also claimed that false allegations were being made by those appearing before the Residential Institutions Redress Board in order to receive compensation.
However, Kelly wrote to Hodder, who proposed to publish a sequel by O'Beirne, sending them a copy of Kathy's Real Story and asking them not to publish. A Sunday Times article (26 July 2009) indicated that Hodder have withdrawn their initial offer to publish her book because of 'unresolved legal issue'.
European Union politics
- Derry author in live TV dust-up Derry Journal, 9 November 2007, retrieved 19 May 2009
- Ireland's leading religious weekly appoints editor Archived 16 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine, Press Gazette, 26 November 2004, retrieved 19 May 2009
- EDFgroup.eu Archived 3 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "A party is being launched today that's calling for Ireland to leave the EU". thejournal.ie. 8 September 2018. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- McDowell, Lindy (8 October 2018). "Hermann Kelly: I believe Ireland, both North and South, is better off outside the European Union". Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- Feud between warring authors to hot up Archived 22 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine The Irish Post, 20 February 2008; retrieved 18 May 2009
- West, Ed (5 March 2008). "Mis lit: Is this the end for the misery memoir?". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 19 May 2009.
- Kerrigan, Gene (11 November 2007). "Both sides in the bad books after bust-up". Independent.ie. Independent News and Media. Retrieved 19 May 2009.
- "Times Online". Times Newspapers. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Ní Aodha, Gráinne (8 September 2018). "A party is being launched today that's calling for Ireland to leave the EU". TheJournal.ie. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Home". dublincountyreturningofficer.com. Retrieved 10 April 2019.