||This article has an unclear citation style. (September 2015)|
Karl Hermann Amandus Schwarz
25 January 1843|
Hermsdorf, Silesia, Prussia
|Died||30 November 1921
|Institutions||University of Halle
|Doctoral advisor||Karl Weierstrass
|Doctoral students||Lipót Fejér
|Known for||Cauchy–Schwarz inequality|
Karl Hermann Amandus Schwarz (25 January 1843 – 30 November 1921) was a German mathematician, known for his work in complex analysis. He was born in Hermsdorf, Silesia (now Jerzmanowa, Poland). He was married to Marie Kummer, a daughter of the mathematician Ernst Eduard Kummer and his wife Ottilie née Mendelssohn (a daughter of Nathan Mendelssohn's and granddaughter of Moses Mendelssohn). They had six children.
Schwarz originally studied chemistry in Berlin but Kummer and Weierstraß persuaded him to change to mathematics. Between 1867 and 1869 he worked in Halle, then in Zürich. From 1875 he worked at Göttingen University, dealing with the subjects of complex analysis, differential geometry and the calculus of variations.
His works include Bestimmung einer speziellen Minimalfläche, which was crowned by the Berlin Academy in 1867 and printed in 1871, and Gesammelte mathematische Abhandlungen (1890). In 1892 he became a member of the Berlin Academy of Science and a professor at the University of Berlin, where his students included Lipót Fejér, Paul Koebe and Ernst Zermelo. He died in Berlin.
- Additive Schwarz method
- Schwarz alternating method
- Schwarzian derivative
- Schwarz lemma
- Schwarz's list
- Schwarz minimal surface
- Schwarz theorem (also known as Clairaut's theorem)
- Schwarz integral formula
- Schwarz–Christoffel mapping
- Schwarz–Ahlfors–Pick theorem
- Schwarz reflection principle
- Schwarz triangle
- Schwarz triangle map
- Weierstrass product inequality
- Chebyshev sum inequality
- Cauchy–Schwarz inequality
- Schwarz, H. A. (1871), Bestimmung einer speziellen Minimalfläche, Dümmler
- Schwarz, H. A. (1972) , Gesammelte mathematische Abhandlungen. Band I, II, Bronx, N.Y.: AMS Chelsea Publishing, ISBN 978-0-8284-0260-6, MR 0392470
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Hermann Schwarz", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Hermann Schwarz at the Mathematics Genealogy Project