Hermann von Ihering
|Hermann von Ihering|
Hermann von Ihering
|Born||Hermann Friedrich Albrecht von Ihering
9 October 1850
|Died||24 February 1930
|Residence||Brazil and Germany|
|Known for||Hermann von Ihering|
Ihering studied medicine at the Giessen, Leipzig, and Berlin, and Göttingen, working as an assistant at the zoological institute in Göttingen. He later worked as a Privatdozent for zoology at the Erlangen and Leipzig.
Ihering travelled to Brazil in 1880 and got his first work at the National Museum of Rio de Janeiro, in Rio de Janeiro. He was the founder and first director of the Museu Paulista, in São Paulo in 1894. In 1920 Ihering returned to Germany, and in 1921 he settled with his second wife, Meta, in Büdingen. Meta died 1928.
The Brazilian water mite Unionicola iheringi (Koenike, 1890) is named in his honour.
His bibliography include 310 works; 20 of these works are about birds.
He was the author of Catálogos da Fauna Brasileira (1907) with his son Rudolpho von Ihering.
- 1877. Vergleichende Anatomie des Nervensystemes und Phylogenie der Mollusken.
- 1880. Beiträge zur Kenntniss der Nudibranchien des Mittelmeeres. Part 1. (1. Chromodoris, 2. Doriopsis, 3. Cadlina.) Malakozoologische Blätter N.F. 2: 57-112
- 1886. Zur kenntnis der Nudibranchien der brasilianischen kuste. Jahrbücher der Deutschen Malakozoologischen Gesellschaft 13 (3): 223-240
- 1886. Beiträge zur Kenntniss der Nudibranchien des Mittelmeeres, Part 2. 4. Die Polyceraden. Malakozoologische Blätter N.F. 8: 12-48
- 1904. The Anthropology of the state of S. Paulo, Brazil.
- 1922. Phylogenie und System der Mollusken.
- Book Os Fascinantes Caminhos da Paleontologia. Author : Antônio Isaia. Publisher Pallotti. (Portuguese)
- Book: "Cronologia Histórica de Santa Maria e do extinto município de São Martinho." 1787–1933. Vol I. Author: Romeu Beltrão, Publisher Pallotti, 1958. (Portuguese)
- Works by or about Hermann von Ihering at Internet Archive
- Ethnographic works by Hermann von Ihering at the Curt Nimuendajú Digital Library
|This article about a German zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an entomologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Brazilian scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|