She was previously Professor of Organizational Behaviour at INSEAD, and before that, Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School. She is a member of the World Economic Forum Global Agenda Councils and is a jury member for the Financial Times and McKinsey & Company Best Business Book of the Year Award. She chaired the Visiting Committee of the Harvard Businesses School and is included in the list of the 50 gurus of the world's most influential businesses. Ibarra is the Charles Handy Professor of Organisational Behaviour at London Business School  and was the Cora Chaired Professor of Leadership and Learning at INSEAD.
In July 2019 Ibarra was elected Fellow of the British Academy.
In 2019, Ibarra broke into the top 40 case authors list published by The Case Centre. She ranked 34th for the academic year 2018/19.
Ibarra is an expert in professional development and executive leadership. She has written articles for Harvard Business Review, Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal and Organization Science. According to Google Scholar, she has more than 22 000 citations and a H-index of 35. She writes for The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times and New York Times. Books:
- Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader. Harvard Business Review Press. 10 February 2015. ISBN 978-1-4221-8412-7.
This latest book explores how managers grow into leadership roles and how they can best develop and grow their skills to fit those roles.
- Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career. Harvard Business Press. 30 December 2013. ISBN 978-1-4221-8412-7.
- "Herminia Ibarra". London Business School. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- "Herminia Ibarra". Thinkers 50. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Herminia Ibarra – Faculty & Research – INSEAD". insead.edu. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- Juan Manuel García Campos (11 October 2015). "Los pensadores económicos más influyentes del mundo". La Vanguardia. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- LBS Website
- "Herminia Ibarra - Faculty Profile | INSEAD". INSEAD. 2015-09-17. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "New Fellows 2019" (PDF). The British Academy. Retrieved 2019-11-08.
- "Top 40 Bestselling Case Authors 2018/19". thecasecentre.org. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- The Best-Performing CEOs in the World, by Morten T. Hansen, Herminia Ibarra and Urs Peyer, Harvard Business Review, 30/01/2013, ISSN 0017-8012
- "Herminia Ibarra". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2021-07-28.
- "Herminia Ibarra". Retrieved 18 November 2015.