|Born||1985 (age 33–34)|
|Occupation||Novelist, journalist, critic|
|Notable works||Neon in Daylight|
Hermione Hoby is a British author, journalist, and cultural critic. She is the author of the 2018 novel Neon in Daylight.
Early and personal life
Hoby worked at The Guardian until moving to New York City in 2010 to become a freelance culture writer. Hoby has profiled writers, actors, musicians, and other public figures including Toni Morrison, Naomi Campbell, Meryl Streep, Taylor Swift, Margaret Atwood, and Laurie Anderson.
In 2016, Hoby began writing "Stranger of the Week," a column for The Awl, in which she observes the wider state of culture, life, and politics based on character studies culled from real-life encounters.
Neon in Daylight
Published in January 1, 2018 by Catapult, Hoby's debut novel, Neon in Daylight, is set in New York during the months leading up to Hurricane Sandy. The book follows the intertwining lives of a middle-aged writer, his rebellious daughter, and a newly transplanted English woman. Reviewing the novel in the Los Angeles Review of Books, Bradley Babendir called Neon in Daylight "luminous and wonderful...[Hoby's] style has a delicious, raucous quality." In The New York Times, Parul Seghal compared Neon in Daylight to Joan Didion’s Play It as It Lays, saying "precision — of observation, of language — is Hoby’s gift. Her sentences are sleek and tailored. Language molds snugly to thought." The book has been named recommended reading by Vanity Fair, Fast Company, and Bustle.
- "Hermione Hoby". www.hermionehoby.com. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Hoby, Hermione (2015-04-25). "Toni Morrison: 'I'm writing for black people … I don't have to apologise'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Hoby, Hermione (2017-11-05). "Naomi Campbell: 'People try to use your past to blackmail you. I won't allow it'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Hoby, Hermione (2015-08-16). "Front woman". The Sunday Times. ISSN 0956-1382. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Hoby, Hermione (2014-08-23). "Taylor Swift: 'Sexy? Not on my radar'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Hoby, Hermione (2013-08-18). "Margaret Atwood: interview". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Hoby, Hermione (2017-01-15). "Laurie Anderson: 'I see Lou all the time. He's a continued, powerful presence'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- "Fiction Book Review: Neon in Daylight by Hermione Hoby. Catapult (PGW, dist), $16.95 trade paper (304p) ISBN 978-1-936787-75-3". Publishers Weekly. October 16, 2017. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Babendir, Bradley (January 7, 2018). "How the Unlikely Becomes Inevitable in Hermione Hoby's "Neon in Daylight" - Los Angeles Review of Books". Los Angeles Review of Books. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Sehgal, Parul (2018). "'Neon in Daylight' Lights Up Ambivalence With Shades of Didion and Others". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Crosley, Sloane (January 8, 2017). "What to Read in February". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Berkowitz, Joe (2018-01-02). "Your Creative Calendar: 71 Things To See, Hear, And Read This January". Fast Company. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Ragsdale, Melissa (January 2, 2018). "The 18 Best Fiction Books Of January 2018 Will Help You Start Your Year Will An Amazing Story". Bustle. Retrieved 2018-01-09.