Hernán Pérez (baseball)
Pérez with the Lakeland Flying Tigers
Milwaukee Brewers – No. 14
March 26, 1991 |
|June 9, 2012 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through August 17, 2015)
|Runs batted in||14|
Hernán Alejandro Pérez (born March 26, 1991) is a Venezuelan baseball infielder for the Milwaukee Brewers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He formerly played for the Detroit Tigers. Pérez was signed by the Detroit Tigers as a non-drafted free agent on July 2, 2007.
After Pérez was signed by the Tigers, he was placed with the VSL Tigers of the Venezuelan Summer League In 2009, Pérez was promoted to the GCL Tigers of the Gulf Coast League. He was soon promoted to the West Michigan Whitecaps of the Midwest League. Later that season, he was promoted to the Class A-Advanced Lakeland Flying Tigers of the Florida State League. At the start of 2010, Pérez found himself back with the West Michigan Whitecaps for which he had spent the 2011 season. He was named a Mid-Season and Post-Season All-Star.
Pérez was called up to the Major Leagues by Detroit on June 9, 2012 after Jhonny Peralta went on paternity leave. Pérez made his debut that day, and got his first hit a day later. He was subsequently sent back to Lakeland so Peralta could rejoin the Tigers.
Pérez started the 2013 season with the Double-A Erie Seawolves. Pérez was recalled to the Tigers on July 9, 2013, replacing Omar Infante who was placed on the disabled list. Pérez was sent back to Double-A's Erie, on August 2, 2013, to make room for the newly acquired José Iglesias. However, Pérez was recalled to the Tigers just three days later, after teammate Jhonny Peralta received a 50-game suspension due to his ties to the Biogenesis scandal. In 33 plate appearances for the Detroit Tigers during the 2015 season, Pérez was batting only .061 with just two hits, one walk, and no RBIs.
- "Hernan Perez Info/Stats". ESPN. Retrieved April 9, 2010.
- Beck, Jason (June 11, 2012). "Perez in awe of first Major League game". MLB.com. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Perez recalled due to Peralta's suspension". MLB.com. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- Farrell, Perry (June 2, 2015). "Brewers claim Tigers' Hernan Perez off waivers". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)