Herndon High School
|Herndon High School|
|700 Bennett Street
Herndon, Virginia 20170
|School type||Public, high school|
|Founded||1911, 1967 (relocated)|
|School district||Fairfax County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red and black ██|
|Athletics conference||Concorde District
|Rivals||South Lakes High School Westfield High School|
|Feeder schools||Herndon Middle School|
Herndon High School is a fully accredited four year public high school in Herndon, Virginia, United States. Herndon serves grades 9-12 and is a part of the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) system. Herndon High School serves the town of Herndon and the northern part of the unincorporated community of Reston. Herndon's mascot is the Fighting Hornet.
Herndon High School opened in 1911 on Locust Street. In 1930, seventy-one students enrolled, with classes such as economics, agriculture, and business education offered, with classes in industrial arts later offered. In 1942, the school opened the first school cafeteria in Fairfax County. In the early 1950s, the building was expanded to support more students.
In 1961, Herndon Intermediate School began within the Herndon High School building. In 1967, the High School moved to its current Bennett Street location, leaving Herndon Intermediate School at Locust Street with 650 students and 39 teachers.
At the start of the 2012-2013 school year Herndon boasted a student enrollment of 2,171 students and approximately 222 staff members.
In the 2012-2013 school year, Herndon High School's student body was 45.49% White, 28.32% Hispanic, 13.23% Asian, 8.61% Black and 4.35% Other.
Herndon High School is a fully accredited high school based on the Standards of Learning tests in Virginia. The average SAT score for 2012 for Herndon was 1641 (547 Critical Reading, 563 Math, and 531 Writing).
- Scottie Reynolds ('06), Former point guard for Villanova University Wildcats, named a McDonald's All-American, Reynolds was named the 2006-07 Big East Rookie of the Year.
- Ronnie Dove ('54), Pop music singer in the 1960s, had hits such as Right or Wrong.
- Brandon Guyer ('04), Professional Baseball Player. Played college baseball at UVA and currently plays for the Cleveland Indians.
- Doug Kammerer ('93) Chief Meteorologist for WRC-TV in the Washington, DC metropolitan area
- Matt St.Martin (Haney) ('91), Chef, Filmmaker, Actor and Producer.
- Angie Goff ('97), Television weekend news anchor for WRC-TV in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- Bill Butler ('65), Former MLB player (Kansas City Royals, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins)
- Jon Carman ('95), Former professional football player for the Buffalo Bills. All-American for Georgia Tech.
- Don Handfield ('89), Filmmaker, Producer and Author.
- Herndon High School Profile Archived June 17, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Enrollment Information
- Demographic Information
- Accreditation Summary
- FCPS News Release
- A Day on the Diamond with Brandon Guyer - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather
- Brandon Guyer Baseball Statistics (2005-2013)
-  Archived January 23, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.