Hero (2015 Hindi film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Nikhil Advani|
|Produced by||Salman Khan|
|Written by||Nikhil Advani|
by Subhash Ghai
Meet Bros Anjjan
|Cinematography||Tushar Kanti Ray|
|Edited by||Ritesh Soni|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
|Box office||₹34.82 crore (US$5.0 million)|
Hero is a 2015 Indian Hindi-language romantic action film directed by Nikhil Advani and co-written by Umesh Bist, a remake of Subhash Ghai's directed 1983 film of the same name, which stars Jackie Shroff. The film starred Sooraj Pancholi and Athiya Shetty, son of actor Aditya Pancholi and daughter of actor Sunil Shetty respectively. Aditya Pancholi has an important role in the film himself.
The film was released on 11 September 2015 worldwide. The film garnered mostly negative reviews.
Sooraj Kaushik is a gangster from Mumbai who meets Radha Mathur, daughter of the city's Chief of Police, IG Shrikant Mathur, during a party. Sooraj,under instructions from his gangster father, Suryakant 'Pasha' Ranade, kidnaps Radha because Shrikant brought evidence against Pasha in court, and kidnaps Radha in the guise of a police officer, by telling her that he received instructions from the police to take her away from city as there is a threat that Pasha and his gang will kidnap Radha unless they move for some time. During these days they slowly fall in love. One day the police track them and Sooraj and Radha escape but Sooraj is shot in the arm while trying to jump over a broken bridge and they both fall in the water. Later they are rescued by a colony of monks through the world thinks both are dead. Sooraj, who was badly injured, remained unconscious. Radha talks about her love for him she finds Sooraj is awake. Later he confesses Radha that he had kidnapped her. Radha has however fallen in love with Sooraj. Radha asks Sooraj to surrender and Sooraj is sent to jail for two years. During that time Radha's brother Dheeraj asks her to go to Paris.
One and a half years later, the court reduces Sooraj's sentence on grounds of good behaviour. Sooraj is out of jail and is ready to start a new life with Radha but to live a life he needed to earn. So he starts a fitness centre for living with support from Radha and Dheeraj. Then Dheeraj introduces Ranvijay, who is a smuggler, and a helper of Pasha but shows them that he is innocent. He is liked by Radha's family and Shrikant decides to tie Ranvijay and Radha into the knot. But Ranvijay, being Pasha's henchman, intends to break Radha's and Sooraj's love. Radha and Sooraj tell Radha's family about what happened, how they met and how they fell in love, but her father still refuses to accept Sooraj as he was a goon. One night Ranvijay stabs Sooraj, who loses consciousness.
Later, in the morning, Pasha arrives intending to kill Radha and Sooraj but seeing their love for each other, leaves them unharmed. But Ranvijay still holds a grudge against Sooraj. A fight ensues and Ranvijay is shot by Radha's father. Radha's father then accepts Sooraj and they get married and live a happy life.
- Sooraj Pancholi as Sooraj Kaushik
- Athiya Shetty as Radha Mathur
- Aditya Pancholi as Suryakant 'Pasha' Ranade
- Tigmanshu Dhulia as IG Shrikant Mathur
- Sharad Kelkar as Dheeraj Mathur, Radha's Brother
- Anita Hassanandani as Ruchi Mathur, Dheeraj's Wife
- Vivan Bhatena as Ranvijay Shekhawat
- Chetan Hansraj as Changhezi
- Randeep Kumar Jha as Rathudi
- Anil Mange as Salim
- Trishaan as Gangu
- Ashish Verma as Mangesh
- Salman Khan in a special appearance in the music video of promo song "Main Hoon Hero Tera"
In May 2013 it was announced that Subhash Ghai is all set to remake 1983 version of the film Hero, which will be re-edited and re- written. On 6 August 2013 it was announced that Nikhil Advani is all set to direct and re-write the script for the film, which Salman Khan is producing. On 19 September 2013 news confirmed that Khan has announced to launch his own production house Salman Khan Productions, which will debut by producing the remake Hero film. On 7 January 2014 news revealed that Khan has set the film to start production on 18 February, and the film will be released on 12 December 2014.
On 10 February 2014, it was reported that Ghai original director of the film has approved the script re-written by Advani and his co-writer Umesh Bist. Ghai said "I think they've done a fantastic job of contemporising my script to suit today's tastes". 
On 14 August 2013 news told that Govinda and Vinod Khanna will also star in the remake film. On 25 October 2013 Ghai said "Yes, Salman may make a special appearance but he will primarily be working as the producer of the film"  and he will be singing the title song of the film. On 9 February 2014 it was confirmed that Athiya Shetty will make her acting debut in the remake film opposite to Sooraj Pancholi. Pancholi's father Aditya Pancholi, a lead actor of the 1980s and 1990s, was also cast in the film.
On 19 September 2013 it was announced that both young actors Sooraj Pancholi and Athiya Shetty are currently undergoing training to start the film's production. On 7 January 2014 Khan set the film to start shooting on 18 February. Later Advani began the principal photography of the film on 16 February 2014 at the Gateway of India.
Aside from producing the film, Khan was also the editor.
Mohar Bash from Times of India gave 3* to the film stating that "Sculpted as a full throttle masala entertainer, Hero is plot-heavy. And while you are well acquainted with the story, Nikhil and Salman's sensibility works as midas touch, giving the film a different texture. It is slick and never allows its viewers to feel restless. For its 132 minutes' crisp runtime."
Bollywood Hungama gave 2/5* to the film stating that "On the whole, HERO fails the litmus test of rehashing a classic for the Generation Next. It appeals in very small measures and is not an ideal weekend entertainer. If you a die-hard Salman Khan fan, you may want to patronise, else avoid."
Koimoi gave 2.5/5* to the film stating that " Hero is a complete throwback of the 'Ek Gunda Ek IG Ki Beti Se Kaise Pyaar Kar Sakta Hai' era. Nikhil Advani misses out on presenting a completely entertaining plot. All the elements seem scattered and hence there is neither enough romance nor action nor drama. The screenplay is a little hotchpotch and that is what affects the film badly." Rajeev Masand from CNN-IBN gave 2/5* stating that "This is lazy, indifferent filmmaking, and a colossal bore for most of its running time. A video featuring Salman Khan singing the terrific title track at the end is too little too late. I'm going with two out of five."
Indian express gave 0/5* to the film stating that "This stale story is transported to 2015 for reasons best known to the filmmakers. If you are giving us a brand new pair, what is to stop you from giving us a brand new plot? And if you do have to remake that 80s show, why can't you do a better job?"
Martin D'souza from Glamsham gave 0/5* to the film stating that "This film is just an extended promo for two star kids of the industry who have got the backing from Salman Khan, Subhash Ghai and Eros International; not necessarily in that order."
The film netted ₹6.85 crore (US$990,000) on its opening day. On its second day the film collected ₹6.62 crore (US$960,000) to take its two-day total to ₹13.50 crore (US$2.0 million). Its first weekend collection stand at ₹21 crore (US$3.0 million). On its fourth day the film collected ₹3.03 crore (US$440,000) nett. The film collected ₹2.45 crore (US$350,000) on its fifth day of release. The film collected around ₹30 crore (US$4.3 million) nett in its first week.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||14 August 2015|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music for Hero is composed by Amaal Mallik, Meet Bros Anjjan and Sachin-Jigar while lyrics are by Kumaar and Niranjan Iyengar. This was the first film, the other being the 2019 film Batla House, where Advani had not worked with Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, though they were at parallel with Advani's successive release, Katti Batti. The first song Main Hoon Hero Tera in Salman's voice, composed by Mallik was released on 9 August 2015 and it received more than 55 million views. The soundtrack was released on 14 August 2015 by T-Series.
|1.||"Main Hoon Hero Tera"||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Salman Khan||04:44|
|2.||"Jab We Met "||Niranjan Iyengar||Sachin-Jigar||Rahul Pandey, Shalmali Kholgade, Divya Kumar, Jigar Saraiya||05:19|
|3.||"Main Hoon Hero Tera" (Reprise)||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik||04:44|
|4.||"Khoya Khoya"||Niranjan Iyengar||Sachin-Jigar||Mohit Chauhan, Priya Saraiya, Arpita Chakraborty, Tanishka Sanghvi||05:17|
|5.||"Yadaan Teriyaan (Version 1)"||Kumaar||Jassi Katyal||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||05:04|
|6.||"Yadaan Teriyaan (Version 2)"||Kumaar||Jassi Katyal||Dev Negi, Shipra Goyal||05:02|
|7.||"Dance Ke Legend"||Kumaar||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros, Bhoomi Trivedi||04:00|
|8.||"O Khuda"||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Amaal Mallik, Palak Muchhal||05:07|
Awards and nominations
|Year||Award Ceremony||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|2015||Mirchi Music Awards||Upcoming Male Vocalist of The Year||Amaal Mallik - "O Khuda"||Nominated|||
|Upcoming Music Composer of The Year||Amaal Mallik - "Main Hoon Hero Tera (Salman Khan Version)"|
- "Hero - Movie - Worldwide Gross & Budget". Box Office India. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Box office Worldwide and days wise break up of Hero (2015)". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Film Hero Will Release On 11 September" (Inext Live Jagran). Inext. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Subhash Ghai to remake his old films again". hindustantimes.com. 13 May 2013. Archived from the original on 13 March 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Nikhil Advani To Helm 'Hero' Remake?". yahoo.com. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Pacheco, Sunitra (7 January 2014). "Salman Khan sets up 'Hero' schedule for Suraj Pancholi". indianexpress.com. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Sooraj Pancholi: Salman Khan gave us good amount of freedom to finish HERO". Glamsham. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Hungama, Bollywood (10 February 2014). "Subhash Ghai gives thumbs-up to Nikhil Advani's Hero - Salman Khan - Latest Celebrity news". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Govinda, Vinod Khanna in 'Hero' remake?". india.com. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Baksi, Dibyojyoti (25 October 2013). "Salman Khan's guest appearance for Hero remake?". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Kaur Marwah, Navdeep (9 February 2014). "Athiya is definitely debuting opposite suraj: Suniel Shetty". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- K. Jha, Subhash (19 September 2013). "Subhash Ghai to compose music for Salman Khan Productions". hindustantimes.com. Archived from the original on 13 March 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for 'Hero'". ibnlive.in.com. 16 February 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for Hero". indiatvnews.com. 16 February 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Thakur, Vishal (12 September 2015). "Hero". Hindustan (in Hindi). Lucknow: HT Media. p. 15.
- KoiMoi – Hero Day 1 (1st Friday) Box Office Collections : Opens To Expected Numbers. M.koimoi.com. Retrieved on 12 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Box Office – Hero Stays Steady On Day 2. M.koimoi.com (13 September 2015). Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Hero Has A Decent Opening Weekend At The Box Office. M.koimoi.com (14 September 2015). Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Hero Sees A Usual Monday Drop – 4th Day Box Office Collection. M.koimoi.com (15 September 2015). Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Hero Witnesses A Dip In Business On 1st Tuesday | Box Office Collections. M.koimoi.com. Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- Boxoffice. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- T-Series (8 August 2015). "'Main Hoon Hero Tera' VIDEO Song - Salman Khan - Amaal Mallik - Hero - T-Series" – via YouTube.
- "Loading..." www.lyricssuper.com.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 25 March 2018.