Promotional art for the series.
|Original net animation|
|Directed by||Hiroyasu Aoki|
|Written by||Hiroyasu Aoki|
|Music by||Hisaki Kato|
|Released||December 3, 2018|
Hero Mask is a Japanese original net animation produced by studio Pierrot for the streaming service Netflix. The series is written and directed by Hiroyasu Aoki, and premiered worldwide on December 3, 2018.
Set in a fictional version of London. James Blood is a hot-blooded officer working for the elite "Special Service of Crime" (SSC) division within the Capital Police Department. Sarah Sinclair is a subordinate to Crown Prosecutor Monica Campbell, who witnesses her suddenly drop dead while working on a high-profile case involving the LIVE Corporation. Shortly thereafter, the police station is attacked by an enemy James thought long dead. James ends up teaming with Sarah to uncover the perpetrators behind these events, dragging them into a conspiracy involving LIVE, escaped prisoners who supposedly died years ago, and masks that give their wearers superhuman abilities.
- James Blood (ジェームズ・ブラッド Jēmuzu Buraddo)
- Voiced by: Yasuyuki Kase (Japanese); Greg Chun (English)
- A hot-blooded elite officer working with the SSC in the Capital Police Department. After fighting off his arch-nemesis Grimm multiple times, he decides to look for answers with Sarah.
- Sarah Sinclair (サラ・シンクレア Sara Shinkurea)
- Voiced by: Yūko Kaida (Japanese); Lauren Landa (English)
- An assistant attorney working in the public prosecutor's office for the Crown. After she witnesses Monica collapse in the street before giving her vital information, she believes she was murdered, and teams up with James to find the perpetrator.
- Lennox Gallagher (レノックス・ギャラガー Renokkusu Gyaragā)
- Voiced by: Junpei Morita (Japanese); Brad Venable (English)
- James' superior at the SSC.
- Edmond Chandler (エドモンド・チャンドラー Edomondo Chandorā)
- Voiced by: Kentaro Takano (Japanese); Landon McDonald (English)
- A technical specialist and Sergeant in the SSC who designs and maintains multiple gadgets for the organization, including the "GPS Bullets" that James is fond of using.
- Harry Creighton (ハリー・クレイトン Harī Kureiton)
- Voiced by: Kōki Uchiyama (Japanese); Chris Niosi (English)
- A former police detective who disappeared after his wife collapsed one day. Currently working as a mercenary for the LIVE Corporation, hunting down the masked individuals.
- Steve Martland
- Voiced by: Jason Marnocha (English)
- Theo Lowe
- Voiced by: Xander Mobus (English)
- A criminal who took multiple doctors hostage in a hospital to get a heart transplant for his daughter. Theo supposedly died in prison, but was secretly used as a test subject for the masks before escaping with the others. Wishes to see his estranged family before he dies.
Production and release
The series is written and directed by Hiroyasu Aoki and animated by Studio Pierrot. Takahisa Katagiri is providing the series' character designs, and Hisaki Kato is composing the music. The 15-episode series premiered worldwide on Netflix on December 3, 2018.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (November 2, 2018). "Studio Pierrot Reveals Crime Action Anime Hero Mask Exclusively for Netflix". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Hero Mask. Episode 1. USA: Netflix. Event occurs at Closing credits, English Language Cast.
- Official website (in Japanese)