Hero of the Empire
First edition cover
|Website||Hero of the Empire|
Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill is a 2016 book by Candice Millard covering Winston Churchill's exploits during the Boer War. Her third book, Hero of the Empire garnered favorable response by major newspaper companies worldwide and was a winner of the 2017 Kansas Notable Book Awards.
Alex von Tunzelmann writing for The New York Times called Hero of the Empire, "a tremendously readable and enjoyable book", and Lucy Hughes-Hallett writing for The Guardian called it, "a thrilling journey, and Millard tells it with gusto."
Tim Brady of the Star Tribune described Millard as "an extremely talented writer, equally adept at penning heart-stopping battlefield scenes and the peculiarities of the emerging Boer culture in early South African history."
- "The State Library of Kansas Announces the 2017 Kansas Notable Books". State Library of Kansas. May 19, 2017. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Senior, Jennifer (September 21, 2016). "Review: In 'Hero of the Empire,' a Young Churchill Earns His Spurs". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Von Tunzelmann, Alex (October 4, 2016). "Winston Churchill's Great Escape". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Olson, Lynne (September 16, 2016). "Winston Churchill, hungry for recognition at any cost". Washington Post. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Hughes-Hallett, Lucy (25 September 2016). "Hero of the Empire: The Making of Winston Churchill review – gripping". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Damsker, Matt (September 18, 2016). "Hero of the Empire". USA TODAY. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Brady, Tim (September 30, 2016). "Review: 'Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill,' by Candice Millard". Star Tribune. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
|This article about a biographical or autobiographical book on a British politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|