Herricks High School
|Herricks High School|
|100 Shelter Rock Road
Searingtown, New York 11507
|School district||Herricks Union Free School District|
|Principal||James A. Ruck|
|Enrollment||1,373 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.6:1|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue, Silver|
|Athletics||16 sports: cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, volleyball, basketball, winter track, wrestling, badminton, baseball, lacrosse, softball, spring track, swimming|
|Average SAT scores||1763|
|Website||Herricks High School|
Herricks High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school with 1450 students accredited by the New York State Board of Regents and the Middle States Association. The school is located in Searingtown, New York, 20 miles east of Manhattan. Fino Celano is the superintendent of the Herricks School District. In 2016, James Ruck became Principal of Herricks High School after Samuel Thompson resigned to return to his previous school district.
Herricks High school is ranked as the 96th best in the nation by "Newsweek and the Daily Beast" which has ranked America's 1000 best high schools. It also ranks as 17th best in New York State.
This school was involved in one of the major Supreme Court rulings affecting prayer in public schools in 1959.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,373 students and 94.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.6:1. There were 61 students (4.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 29 (2.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Herricks High School stands on Watermelon Hill. The land near the area was a burial ground for the Pearsall family starting in the 17th century, but the burial grounds were later removed.
The High School opened in September 1958 and had its first graduating class in 1960.
Known for the "Herricks Prayer Case, Engel v. Vitale," the Herricks School District (a.k.a. Union Free School District #9) was sued by five district property owners in 1959. "Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon Thee, and we beg Thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers and our Country." was recited as a daily procedure on the recommendation of the NY State Board of Regents. This case was decided by the U. S. Supreme Court, which ruled the prayer unconstitutional in 1962. 
In 2013, Herricks High School helped celebrate the Herricks School District's 200th anniversary.
- Environmental Science
- Physics B, Physics C
- Calculus AB, Calculus BC
- Macroeconomics, Microeconomics
- US History
- US Government & Politics
- European History
- World History
- Language & Composition, Literature & Composition
- Computer Science A
- Studio Art, Photography
- Music Theory
Music and theater
The music department is home to ten different performing ensembles, including several advanced groups: Jazz Band, Wind Ensemble, Chamber Orchestra, and Chamber Choir.
Herricks Model Congress
Every year, the World Affairs Club organizes the Herricks Model Congress, which is associated with the United Model Congreses.
Publications include the Highlander newspaper, and the OPUS literary magazine.
|This section does not cite any sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Cliff Asness, hedge fund manager
- Charlie Cipriano, All-American and Major League Lacrosse goalie
- Nadine Faustin-Parker, three-time Olympian for the Republic of Haiti (2000,2004,2008)
- Alyssa A. Goodman, Class of 1980, Professor of Astronomy --Harvard University
- Alex Katz (baseball), baseball player for the Chicago White Sox
- Liam McHugh, sports journalist
- Eric J. Nestler, Chair of Neuroscience at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Joe Roth - film executive, producer and film director.
- Matthew Senreich, co-creator/executive producer of Adult Swim's Robot Chicken
- Robert Sitkoff, Professor at Harvard Law School
- Larry Teng, television director and producer
- School data for Herricks High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- About our School
- America’s Best High Schools 2012 - Newsweek and The Daily Beast Archived May 21, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Herricks pegs Farmingdale assistant principal to lead high school". Retrieved 2016-09-04.
- What Do You Know About Herricks?, What's in Your Backyard. Roslyn News, November 7, 2008. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- Alumni Newsletter - Winter 2009. Retrieved June 7, 2010.
- "Education: The Offensive Prayer". Time. March 9, 1959. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- ThisNation.com-Engel et al. v. Vitale et al.
- Herricks celebrates 200 years The Island Now. September 5, 2013. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Chapter 1975 Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Herricks High School Athletics Boosters Site
-  Archived May 3, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.