|• Mayor||Christian Schiller (Ind.)|
|• Total||20.88 km2 (8.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||568 m (1,864 ft)|
|• Density||510/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||STA, WOR|
Situated at one terminus of the Munich S-Bahn line , the village is popular with travellers for its water-sports and as the starting point of trips to the Benedictine Andechs Abbey. Herrsching is also a stop for touring steamships of the Bavarian Seenschiffahrt or lake fleet.
Prior to WW-II Herrsching was home to the "Reichsfinanzschule Hersching" (finance school). In 1945-1946 the school was converted into a POW hospital and rehab facility for soldiers who had lost limbs.
Notable sights include
- the lake-front promenade (at about 5 km, the longest one in Germany)
- Kurparkschlössl (Little castle), built in 1888 by the artist Ludwig Scheuermann
- Historic paddle-wheel steamships Herrsching and Diessen docking at the harbour in summer
- St. Martin's church
- Zur Post Gasthof from 1567
- Archaeological Park, a 7th-century settlement of the Bavarians.
- Rainer Rene Graf Adelmann von Adelmannsfelden (born 1948), former lawyer
- Arno Assmann (1908–1979), actor
- Martin Benrath (1926–2000), actor
- Helene Böhlau (1856–1940), writer, buried in Widdersberg
- David Coverdale (born 1951), singer of the band Deep Purple 1973-1976
- Roderich Fick, (1886–1955), architect, lived and worked in the "Old Mill", Mühlfeld from 1920 to 1955
- Camilla Horn (1903–1996), actress
- Clemens Kuby (born 1947), documentary filmmaker and author
- Christian Morgenstern (1871–1914), poet: his widow Margareta lived from 1919 until her death in 1968 in Breitbrunn.
- Alfred Ploetz (1860–1940), physician
- Rudi Schuricke (1913–1973), singer, actor, lived from 1955 to 1973 in Herrsching, owner of the former Hotel Seespitz
- Klaus Wennemann (1940–2000), actor
- Harald Winter (born 1953), artist
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). September 2018.
- "Hotel Gasthof zur Post". Hotel Gasthof zur Post. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herrsching am Ammersee.|
- Five Lake County tourist information
- Herrsching - lake Ammersee
- Pictures of Herrsching
- Gasthof Hotel zur Post Herrsching
|This Starnberg district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|