|Special Service Area of Herschel|
|Rural Municipality||Mountain View|
|Post office founded||N/A|
|• Total||1.35 km2 (0.52 sq mi)|
|• Density||22.2/km2 (57/sq mi)|
|Highways||Highway 31 |
|Railways||Canadian Pacific Railway|
Herschel is a special service area in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. It is the seat of the Rural Municipality of Mountain View No. 318 and held village status prior to December 31, 2006. The population was 30 people in 2006. The community is located 37 km northwest of the Town of Rosetown at the intersection of Highway 31 and Highway 656 along a Canadian Pacific Railway line.
|Canada census – Herschel, Saskatchewan community profile|
|Population:||30 (-14.3% from 2001)|
|Land area:||1.35 km2 (0.52 sq mi)|
|Population density:||22.2/km2 (57/sq mi)|
|Median age:||NA (M: NA, F: NA)|
|Total private dwellings:||19|
|Median household income:||$NA|
|References: 2006 earlier|
In 1935, a major fire destroyed 18 homes and businesses in Herschel. The blaze destroyed three general stores, the post office, a harness shop, the drug store, a pool hall, the Royal Hotel, a Chinese laundry, a hardware store, the municipal office, a restaurant, homes and other structures. Poor local roads were blamed for the extent of the blaze, with fire engines from Rosetown unable to reach the community for more than four hours.
In 2005, fossils of a plesiosaur were discovered in a coal mine ravine southwest of Herschel, and now, along with native petroglyphs. The Ancient Echoes Interpretive Center opened shortly after and attracts visitors from around the world. The fossils were described as a new species, Dolichorhynchops herschelensis.
- National Archives, Archivia Net, Post Offices and Postmasters, archived from the original on 2006-10-06
- Government of Saskatchewan, MRD Home, Municipal Directory System, archived from the original (– Scholar search) on November 21, 2008
- Canadian Textiles Institute. (2005), CTI Determine your provincial constituency, archived from the original on 2007-09-11
- Commissioner of Canada Elections, Chief Electoral Officer of Canada (2005), Elections Canada On-line, archived from the original on 2007-04-21
- "Municipal Directory System" (PDF). Government of Saskatchewan. p. 227. Retrieved November 19, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Restructured Villages". Saskatchewan Ministry of Municipal Affairs. Archived from the original on March 25, 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
- Barry, Bill (2003). People Places: Contemporary Saskatchewan Place Names. People Places Pub. p. 110. ISBN 1-894022-92-0.
- "$120,000 Fire Sweeps Herschel Town". The Leader-Post. Regina, SK. 1935-04-09. p. 1.
- Ancient Echoes Interpretive Center
- Sato, T. (2005). "A new Polycotylid Plesiosaur (Reptilia: Sauropterygia) from the Upper Cretaceous Bearpaw Formation in Saskatchewan, Canada". Journal of Paleontology, 79: 969-980.
- Deshpande, Jay (2 September 2016). "How Herschel Happened". Slate. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Saskatchewan City & Town Maps
- Saskatchewan Gen Web - One Room School Project
- Post Offices and Postmasters - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada
- Saskatchewan Gen Web Region
- Online Historical Map Digitization Project
- GeoNames Query
- 2006 Community Profiles