Savage in Los Angeles, CA, April 2010
November 25, 1952 
New York, New York, U.S.
|Other names||Max Cohen, Jack Black, Hershel Savage, Hershal Savage, H. Savage, Norman Vain, Greg Falcon, Little Soft, Jack Blake, Bill Berry, Harvey Kane, Jack Soft, Herschell Savage, William Berry, Herschal Savage, Hershell Savage, Harvey Cowan, Skip Brooks, Joel Caine, Jack Baron, Bill Barry, Van Ayasit, Billy Bell, Joel Black, Vic Falcone, Jack Sin, Hubert Savage, Paul Hues, Dan Hues, Joel Kane, Cornell Hayes, Gerald Graystone, Hershe|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st)|
|No. of adult films||1663 as a performer & 10 as a director (per IAFD)|
He studied acting under Broadway actress Uta Hagen and renowned acting teacher Stella Adler. Savage initially sought a mainstream stage and screen career, however, he became disillusioned by the constant auditioning and competition for roles.
Savage was introduced to the pornographic film industry via the actor R. Bolla in 1976, and he went on to become one of the biggest stars of the "Golden Age of Porn" in the 1970s and 1980s. He appeared in the 1978 classic Debbie Does Dallas, for which he was paid about $150 a day. Some of the other films he has appeared in include Expose Me Now, Bodies in Heat, and Rambone Does Hollywood. He left pornography in 1988 and worked in sales and video distribution, also playing a few roles in local theater productions. He then returned to the industry in 1997.
Savage also launched a fledgling career as a stand up comedian and appeared frequently on the reality TV series Family Business (one episode features a stand-up performance by Savage). He appeared as a guest during the fifth season of the NBC sitcom Just Shoot Me, on an episode called The Proposal (2,) which aired on February 1, 2001. In 2006, he starred in Neil Simon's play The Prisoner of 2nd Avenue, under the stage name "Max Cohen", at the Morgan-Wixson Theater in Santa Monica.
- 1987 AVN Award - Best Couples Sex Scene (Amanda’s Diary) with Nina Hartley
- 1988 AVN Award - Best Couples Sex Scene, Film (Amanda by Night 2)
- 2000 AVN Award - Most Outrageous Sex Scene (Perverted Stories 22)[dead link]
- 2002 AVN Award - Best Supporting Actor, Film (Taken)[dead link]
- 2002 AVN Award - Best Group Sex Scene, Video (Succubus)[dead link]
- 2002 AVN Award - Most Outrageous Sex Scene (Perverted Stories 31)[dead link]
- 2006 XRCO Award - Best Onscreen Couple (Dark Side - Red Light) with Penny Flame
- 2006 AVN Award - Best Couples Sex Scene, Film (Dark Side)[dead link]
- "The Curse of Debbie Does Dallas". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2005-08-19. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- "Herschel Savage". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "SAVAGE STARS IN NEIL SIMON PLAY". AVN. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- "Herschel Savage: The Evergreen Porn Star", The Rialto Report, November 3rd, 2013
- Savage, Herschel; Atell, Dave (2012). Dave's Old Porn (Television Production). Los Angeles, CA: Showtime.
- "XRCO Hall of Fame". Archived from the original on October 7, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-29.
- "AVN HALL OF FAME". Archived from the original on April 15, 2009. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Past AVN Award Winners". Archived from the original on February 24, 2008. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- Rhett Pardon (21 April 2006). "Porn Industry Shows Up for XRCO Awards". XBIZ. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herschel Savage.|
- Herschel Savage at the Internet Movie Database
- Herschel Savage on Twitter
- Herschel Savage at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Herschel Savage at the Adult Film Database
- The Rialto Report, "Herschel Savage - The Evergreen Porn Star", November 3, 2013 - new audio podcast interview with Herschel Savage