Hersjana Matmuja (2014)
|Birth name||Hersjana Matmuja|
|Also known as||Hersi|
|Born||1 February 1990|
|Associated acts||Genti Lako, Gjergj Leka|
Hersjana Matmuja (born 1 February 1990), also known as Hersi Matmuja or simply Hersi is an Albanian singer, best known for winning the 52nd edition of Festivali i Këngës. In 2014 she represented Albania in Eurovision Song Contest held in Copenhagen, Denmark, with the song "One Night's Anger".
Early life and career
Hersi Matmuja was born on February 1, 1990 in Kukës. She started singing when she was 8 years old and as a child participated in many festivals and talent shows. During that time, she also studied Canto at Liceu "Jordan Misja" in Tirana, where she received the highest possible grade of 10/10 upon completion.
While Hersi was studying at the Liceu, she participated for the first time at the Festivali i Kenges, when she was 16 years old, winning First Prize in the Youth Category for her rendition of the song "Ah jetë, oh jetë" composed by Frederik Ndoci. She returned to participate in the Festivali i Këngës three more times. Hersi also participated twice in Kënga Magjike.
In 2009 she auditioned for enrollment at the "Santa Cecilia" Conservatory in Rome (qualifying first among all applicants), where she studied canto and started committing professionally to music, participating in concerts and Classical music competitions. In October 2014, she graduated from the Santa Cecilia Conservatory with the maximum score of 30/30 and the title of "Maestro".
She speaks Albanian, English and Italian.
Despite her classical music training, Hersi says her musical influences include Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Lady Gaga, Celine Dion, Rihanna, Björk and ABBA. She studies at Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia in Rome.
52nd Festivali i Këngës and Eurovision Song Contest 2014
Matmuja was among the 16 participants taking part at the 52nd edition of Festivali i Këngës. Her song "Zemërimi i një nate" (One night's anger) was written by Jorgo Papingji and composed by Genti Lako. She performed on the first presentation night and shortly became a favourite to win the show. She opened the final night and received 69 points from the jury, thus getting the rights to represent Albania in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark. She left Klodian Kaçani and "Me ty" behind with 24 points. The Eurovision version of Zemërimi i një nate (One Night's Anger) and official video was released on 20 March. Matmuja performed in the first semi final, on 6 May. She didn't qualify for the final on 10 May.
- 2006: Ah jetë, oh jetë
- 2010: Me cilin rri ti dashuri
- 2011: Natë moj natë
- 2011: Aty ku më le
- 2012: Kthehu (ft. Gjergj Leka)
- 2012: Animon
- 2012: Kush ta dha këtë emër
- 2013: Zemërimi i një nate
- 2014: One Night's Anger
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2006||"Ah jetë, oh jetë"||Youth Category||Won|
|2013||"One Night's Anger"||First Prize||Won|
- "About Hersi". Eurovision.TV. Archived from the original on 2014-03-26.
- "HI vererybody!". twitter.com. Hersi Official. 6 January 2014. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "-9 #teamonenightsanger". twitter.com. Hersi Official. 27 April 2014. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- Omelyanchuk, Olena (28 December 2013). "Hersi Matmuja wins Festivali i Këngës!". eurovision.tv. European Broadcasting Union. Archived from the original on 30 December 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Albania: Meet Hersiana Matmuja". eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com. The Eurovision Times. 30 December 2013. Archived from the original on 4 January 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Hersiana Matmuja Biografia". teksteshqip.com (in Albanian). teksteSHQIP. Archived from the original on 2014-01-08. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- García, Belén (2 January 2014). "Interview: Hersi Matmuja (Albania 2014) speaks to ESC+Plus! (EXCLUSIVE)". esc-plus.com. ESC+Plus. Archived from the original on 8 January 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Besim, Ramadan (22 January 2014). "Hersiana Matmuja Interview: I like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Mozart". wiwibloggs.com. wiwibloggs.com. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Hersi Matmuja speaks to Eurowizja.org". eurowizja.org. 20 February 2014. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Albania: Hersiana Matmuja will release her song on March 20". wiwibloggs.com. wiwibloggs.com. 25 February 2014. Archived from the original on 3 March 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
|Awards and achievements|
Adrian Lulgjuraj and Bledar Sejko with "Identitet"
| Albania in the Eurovision Song Contest
with "I'm Alive"