|Type of business||Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung|
|Headquarters||Gunzenhausen, Bavaria, Germany|
|Industry||Web hosting, SSL certificates, Colocation, Domain registration|
|Revenue||148 mio (2016)|
|Net income||48 mio (2016)|
|Employees||ca. 220 (2017), 184 (2016)|
It should not be confused with its South African namesake and partner company, Hetzner (Pty) Ltd — the two are separate companies registered and incorporated in their own rights under the applicable country laws. They do not have the same shareholders.
- 1 History
- 2 Services
- 3 Infrastructure
- 4 Charity
- 5 Incidents
- 6 Awards
- 7 Memberships in trade organizations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Hetzner Online GmbH (Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung) began operations in Germany in 1997 under the name Hetzner Online Services. Between 2000 and 2015, Hetzner Online in German operated under the legal status AG ("Aktiengesellschaft"). In 2015, it changed its legal status to GmbH.
The company is named after its founder Martin Hetzner. Hetzner Online owns and operates three data center parks in Nuremberg and Falkenstein/Vogtland (Germany), and Helsinki (Finland). In addition, Hetzner Online is a co-investor in the Cinia C-Lion project, which connected Helsinki and Rostock, Germany together with a 1,100 km long submarine fiberglass cable. This cable will provide a high-speed connection between Hetzner's German data centers and the one under construction in Finland.
In 2017, Hetzner Online celebrated its 20th anniversary with a multi-day event at its data center park in Falkenstein. The event, "Willkommen im Internet", included technical workshops, a tour of the facility, and a public, open-air concert by Austrian singer, Christina Stürmer.
The head office of Hetzner Online is based in Gunzenhausen, Bavaria, in Germany. It has a partner company in South Africa: Hetzner South Africa (Pty.) Ltd. which operates data centers in Midrand and Cape Town (South Africa).
Hetzner Online provides dedicated hosting, shared web hosting, virtual private servers, managed servers, domain names, SSL certificates, storage boxes, and cloud solutions. At the data center parks located in Nuremberg and Falkenstein, customers can also connect their hardware to Hetzner Online's energy-efficient and state of the art infrastructure and network with the company's colocation services. The company operates a server auction site online where older servers are auctioned off in the form of a Dutch auction.
Hetzner Online's datacenter projects are coordinated and implemented in-house with as little outsourcing as possible. Data center units served by multiple redundant uplinks, including 300 Gbit/s to DE-CIX and fiber optic links to Nuremberg and Frankfurt. Colocation facilities are sited at both data center parks in Nuremberg and Falkenstein/Vogtland in Germany.
Energy for normal operations at the data center parks is used exclusively from renewable sources, in Germany from hydropower and in Finland from wind power. In the German data center parks, this energy is provided by Energiedienst AG. In addition the company strives to conserver energy with its use of direct free cooling, double-height raised floor, components selected on the basis of energy-consumption, waste heat recycling, and intelligent lighting solutions. In 2011, TÜV SÜD certified Hetzner's data centers as an "Energy Efficient Enterprise".
To prevent possible faults caused by problems with the electrical network, Hetzner Online obtains its power in a redundant manner from the network provider. The current is fed from the neighbouring transformer station to the redundant transformers via two separate lines. The A/B busbar concept, in conjunction with the use of static transfer switches (STS), ensures a higher availability of the power supply. The redundant modular UPS system is able to secure the complete power supply in case of a module failure. In the event of a longer power failure, a diesel generator takes over the entire power supply of the data center. In addition, a battery monitoring system permanently monitors the condition of the battery blocks.
Direct free cooling is used for cooling IT hardware. In contrast to conventional systems, this method uses outside air for cooling. If the outdoor temperature rises, the system automatically switches to mixed operation and cools the air via compressors. The cold air is then directed to the air intakes of the servers via the raised floors. This is made possible by cold aisle containment, in which the currents of cold and warm air are separated and deliberately channeled in specific directions. The warm air in the corridors and near the ceiling of the data center are channeled out through the roof in a concentrated manner. The remaining "waste heat" is not wasted. In fact, it is used to heat offices. This system, which was designed in house, not only effecitvely cools the hardware; it also reduces the use of cold air and increases the efficiency of cooling, thereby reducing energy consumption.
The backbone is set up in the form of a ring network between the datacenter locations Nuremberg and Falkenstein as well as the most important Internet location, Frankfurt. All locations are connected to central exchange nodes such as DE-CIX, AMS-IX, DATA-IX and V-IX via the company's own fiber optic network.
Energy Efficiency Monitoring System
An extensive array of measuring devices enables the Hetzner Online team to closely monitor energy consumption and analyze the quality of the power network in real time. The system measures power consumption 24/7 at different intervals at all levels in the data center and sends warnings if it finds of anomalies. A remote-readable software calculates important key figures, such as PUE/EER, and identifies optimization potentials.
The internationally recognized standard for information security certifies that Hetzner Online GmbH has established and implemented an appropriate information security management system (ISMS). Hetzner Online utilizes the ISMS in its infrastructure and complete operations for the data center parks in the Nuremberg and Falkenstein locations. FOX Certification, a third party certification authority, audited Hetzner Online's data center parks for the certification process. The datacenter parks are thus certified in accordance to ISO/IEC 27001.
This certification confirms that Hetzner Online will uphold strict information security standards. It states that Hetzner Online provides up-to-standard systems for security management, data security, data confidentiality and availability of IT systems. The certificate proves adequate security management, data security, confidentiality of information and availability of IT systems. It also confirms that the safety standards are continuously improved and sustainably monitored.
Hetzner Online is a sponsor of a variety of humanitarian and educational charity organizations. Sponsoring activities in the past include Habitat for Humanity Germany and their building projects in Africa. In 2010, Hetzner Online donated setup fees received from new orders during the football World Cup 2010 to the Youth Build Project 2010. In 2012 Habitat for Humanity Germany patron, actress Alexandra Neldel travelled to Mozambique and South Africa to learn more about Hetzner Online's projects. The company received the Habitat for Humanity Corporate Partnership Award in 2012. In addition, Hetzner Online has sponsored several non-profit organizations located in the communities near its data center parks.
Russian complaints about Glavcom.ua
In early August 2014, the Russian Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media (Roskomnadzor) sent a demand to many news agencies, including BBC, prohibiting any mention of the demonstration that was being arranged in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk in support of the federalization of Siberia. A number of such messages were sent to Ukraine, which was in the midst of undeclared war with Russian paramilitary in Donetsk region. Since the Ukrainian online newspapers did not remove the article, Roskomnadzor sent letters to their Internet providers demanding removal of the news item. Hetzner Online complied with the demands and sent a notice to glavcom.ua, saying "Please solve the problem and reply within the next 24 hours to avoid suspension. This is the final deadline."
This story was widely reprinted in news sources. Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement expressing solidarity with glavcom.ua owners and journalists. Vassily Zvarych, vice-head of Communications Department of Foreign Ministry, gave a press conference saying that he was surprised by Hetzner Online's compliance with the Russian complaint. Also, a German chapter of Reporters Without Borders issued a statement condemning Roskomnadzor.
The notices to suspend Glavcom.ua were issued by Hetzner Online August 6, 2014; on August 10 Hetzner Online issued apologies, denying that any censorship was planned and that their technical support made a wrong decision, which they regret. However, by that time the story was widely published in German mass-media, and Glavcom.ua already migrated from Hetzner Online to another hosting provider.
In 2013, an Estonian anti-spam activist Tõnu Samuel posted a blog entry about an alleged spammer Silver Teede on his website no.spam.ee. In retaliation, Teede wrote a complaint to the blog's service provider, Hetzner Online, who decided to terminate services for the blog. In an ensuing court case, Estonian courts found the complaints to be baseless and awarded Samuel damages for the loss of his servers.
blocking "Novaya Gazeta"
On January 11, 2016, Hetzner blocked the St. Petersburg site of Novaya Gazeta, the leading oppositional, non-governmental newspaper in Russia. The newspaper marked the act as political censorship without any legal procedure.
- 2007 eco Internet Award, "Verband der deutschen Internetwirtschaft" (Association of the Internet Industry)
- 2007 Bayerns best 50
- 2011 Green IT Best Practice Award
- 2011 eco Internet Award, Association of German Internet Industry
- 2012 funkschau journal Carrier & Provider Award
- 2012 PC WELT trade press Technology Winner Brand Awareness International
- 2012 Bavaria's Best 50 fastest growing businesses in Bavaria
- 2012 Shortlisted for 5th Data Centres Europe 2012 Awards
- 2012 Finalist Datacenterdynamics EMEA Awards 2012
- 2013 Funkschau Journal "Carrier & Provider Award
- 2013 Shortlised for International Datacentre & Cloud Awards 2013
- 2014 PC WELT Brand of the Year and Technology Winner Brand Awareness International
- 2015 Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Award; "Sustained Excellence Award"
- 2015 "Carrier and Provider of the Year" Funkschau Leserwahl (Reader's Choice) Award
- 2015 Bayerns Best 50 Award
- 2016 Hosting Awards
- 2016 European Business Award
- 2017 Hosting Award in the "VPS/vServer" category
- 2018 Hosting & Service Provider Award in the "Cloud Service Provider" category
- 2018 Hosting & Service Provider Award in the "Webhosting" category
Memberships in trade organizations
- DENIC central registry of all domains under the country code .de
- Eco – Association of the Internet Industry
- ICANN Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- RIPE NCC Regional Internet Registry for Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia
- nic.at domain name registry for the top-level domain .at
- "Company Overview of Hetzner Online AG". Businessweek. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- Beatrix Taggart (17 May 2013). "Hetzner Online shortlisted as "New Datacentre of the Year" at the 6th International Datacentre Awards". Daily Host News.
- Nicole Henderson (1 February 2013). "Web Host Hetzner Online Adds Colocation Services to Two German Data Centers". Web Host Industry Review.
- "Hetzner sets foot in Finland". Good News from Finland/Finnfacts. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Hetzner constructs a data center park in Tuusula, Finland". Finpro. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Data centers - Hetzner Online GmbH". www.hetzner.com. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Submarine Data Cable to Link Germany and Finland". eco. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Cinia Completes Submarine Data Cable to Link Germany and Finland". Cinea. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Welcome To The Internet - 20 years Hetzner Online 2017". YouTube. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Hetzner opens its second data centre in Cape Town". Datacenter Dynamics. 3 September 2006.
- "Hetzner starts on massive new data center". BusinessTech. 2 July 2013.
- "Hetzner's new data centre taking shape: photos". MyBroadband. 15 August 2013.
- "Hetzner grows Cape Town DC". MyBroadband. 5 September 2011.
- "Storage Boxes".
- "About us".
- "ICANN-Accredited Registrars".
- "List of DENIC Members".
- "Registrar-Liste". nic.at.
- "Data centers". 2017-11-21.
- "Zertifikat verliehen an Hetzner Online AG "Certificate presented to Hetzner Online AG"" (PDF). Hetzner Online GmbH. 21 November 2017.
- "Hetzner Online is taking responsibility and protecting the environment". Hetzner Online GmbH. 21 November 2017.
- "TÜV SÜD awarded the 'Energy Efficient Enterprise – Data Centre' certificate to Hetzner Online's data centre park". TÜV SÜD. 1 July 2011.
- "Secure Power Supply". 21 November 2017.
- "Efficient Cooling". 21 November 2017.
- "Secure Modern Network Infrastructure". 21 November 2017.
- "Establishing trust through security" (PDF). 21 November 2017.
- "Fox certification" (PDF). 21 November 2017.
- Habitat for Humanity Germany
- Zeleni Hosting (10 January 2012). "Cheque for 148.000 Euro to welfare organisation". Zeleni Hosting.
- Hetzner Online AG erhält Auszeichnung für beispielhaftes soziales Engagement
- Fabian Scherschel (7 June 2013). "Hetzner web hosting service hacked, customer data copied". The H.
- Nicole Henderson (7 June 2013). "Hetzner Security Breach Exposes Customer Passwords, Payment Information". Web Host Industry Review.
- BBC: "Блог редактора: Артем Лоскутов и "федерализация Сибири"
- BBC World Service statement regarding interview with Artem Loskutov
- Bloomberg: Ukraine in ‘Undeclared War’ With Russia as Rebels Unite
- Немцы заблокируют «Главком» за то, что он не удалил статью по требованию Роскомнадзора
- Webhoster Hetzner: Deutsche Firma hilft russischer Medienaufsicht bei Zensur
- МИД Украины удивлен позицией немецкого хостера, согласившегося с Роскомнадзором
- Russische Zensurversuche im Ausland
- Human rights in Ukraine: Russian censor will not be allowed to block Glavkom
- "The Truth About Hetzner Censoring Glavcom". root-services.net. 9 August 2014.
- Роскомсвобода: Немецкий хостер хотел заблокировать украинский сайт по требованию Роскомнадзора, но извинился
- Glavcom.ua: Немецкий хостер отказался блокировать «Главком» и извинился перед редакцией
- Hans Lõugas (29 October 2013). "Laimaja peab sotsiaalmeedias vabandust paluma". Eesti Päevaleht.
- Sander Silm (28 October 2013). "Netilaimaja peab maksma Tõnu Samuelile 11 150 eurot". Õhtuleht.
- Silver Meikar (17 June 2013). "Silver Meikar: avatus ja läbipaistvus taastaks usalduse". Postimees.
- Немецкий провайдер заблокировал сайт «Новой газеты в Петербурге»
- Осторожно, цензура!
- "eco Gala 2007" (in German), eco - Verband der Internetwirtschaft e.V., https://www.eco.de/2007/veranstaltungen/eco-gala-2007-2.html. Retrieved 2017-11-14
- Zeleni Hosting (24 January 2012). "GreenIT Best Practice Award 2011". Zeleni Hosting.
- 2011 Green IT Best Practice Award
- Zeleni Hosting (16 January 2012). "Top eco Internet award for best German hosting provider". Zeleni Hosting.
- HostSearch (28 August 2012). "German IT Journal Names Hetzner Online Top Internet Provider for 2012". HostSearch.
- HostSearch (29 October 2012). "PC-WELT Readers Vote Hetzner Online Technology Winner 2012". HostSearch.
- Carsten Bernhard (8 July 2012). "Wirtschaftsminister: Hetzner als "Bayerns Best 50" ausgezeichnet". webhostlist.de.
- Datacentres.com (23 May 2012). "Data Centres Europe announce 5th annual awards shortlist". Datacentres.com.
- Ambrose McNevin (26 November 2012). "DatacenterDynamics EMEA Awards 2012 Finalists". Datacentre Dynamics.
- Zeleni Hosting (18 January 2013). "Hetzner Online gewinnt erneut bei Deutschlands größter Leserumfrage". Zeleni Hosting.
- Beatrix Taggart (17 May 2013). "Hetzner Online shortlisted as "New Datacentre of the Year" at the 6th International Datacentre Awards". Zeleni Hosting.
- HostSearch (8 July 2014). "Web Hosting Provider Hetzner Online is PC-WELT's "Brand of the Year 2014"". HostSearch.
- Deloitte (30 March 2016). "Preisträger Technology Fast 50". Deloitte.
- Hetzner Online (30 March 2016). "Awards". Hetzner Online.
- Bayerische Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft und Medien, Energie und Technologie (30 March 2016). "Awards". Bayerische Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft und Medien, Energie und Technologie.
- Vogel IT Medien (13 May 2016). "Hetzner Online was awarded the "Platinum" Reader's Choice Hosting Award in the "Dedicated Server" category". Vogel IT Medien.
- "The European Business Awards" (in German). Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Vogel Business Media GmbH & Co. KG (in German), HOSTING AWARDS: das sind die strahlenden Gewinner, https://www.cloudcomputing-insider.de/hosting-awards-das-sind-die-strahlenden-gewinner-a-610743/. Retrieved 2017-11-14
- "Auszeichnungen - Hetzner Online GmbH" (in German). Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- "HSP 2018 - Hetzner Online GmbH". Retrieved 2018-05-23.
- "HSP 2018 - Hetzner Online GmbH". Retrieved 2018-05-23.
- "List of members". 2017-11-21.
- "eco homepage". 2017-11-21.
- "Unsere Mitgleider (eco)". 21 November 2017.
- "ICANN-Accredited Registrars". 2017-11-21.
- "Local Internet Registries offering service in Germany". 2017-11-21.
- "Overview of all nic.at registrars". 2017-11-21.