Hewlett-Woodmere School District
The Hewlett-Woodmere Public School District, Union Free School District 14, is located in the southwest section of Nassau County, New York and borders the New York City borough of Queens. Communities in the district include, in full or in part, Hewlett, Woodmere, Woodsburgh, North Woodmere an unincorporated area of Valley Stream, the Gibson section of Valley Stream, Hewlett Harbor, Hewlett Neck, and Hewlett Bay Park, as well as parts of Lynbrook, all comprise the geographical boundaries for the school district. There are approximately 3,200 students enrolled in pre-K through 12th grade. The district is operated under the supervision of a seven-member Board of Education.
The School District was created by the New York Legislature in 1898. As early as 1850 there was a one room school house in the area. As the area grew rapidly in the postwar period, 4 schools were built between 1949 and 1961.
The district consists of the following schools:
- Elementary Schools
- Franklin Early Childhood Center Grades PreK-1
- Hewlett Elementary School Grades 2-5
- Ogden Elementary School Grades 2-5
- Middle School
- Woodmere Middle School Grades 6-8
- High School
- George W. Hewlett High School (commonly known as Hewlett High School) Grades 9-12.
- Dr. Ralph Marino Jr. - Superintendent
- Dr. Peter Weber - Assistant Superintendent, Business
- Mrs. Barbara McNiff - Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources & Student Services
- Mr. Marc Secaur - Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
Awards and recognition
Recent Awards and Achievements include:
- Hewlett High School named one of Newsweek's Top 25 High Schools in New York
- One 2012 Semi-Finalist in the National Merit Scholarship Program
- Six National Merit Commended Students
- Two National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars
- Hewlett High School Business Department Named Department of the Year, 2006 & 2011
- Hewlett High School Business Teacher, Mr. Jared Pittelli, named Outstanding Teacher of the Year
- Hewlett High School named Blue Star School by W!se
- Hewlett High School named a Grammy Signature School Semi-Finalist for 2012.
- Hewlett-Woodmere Public Schools, accessed November 1, 2006
- Diversity of LI's districts, Newsday, December 3, 2006
- http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/press-release/dec-12-2011-730-am accessed March 12th 2011