Hey There Lonely Girl
|"Hey There Lonely Girl"|
|Single by Eddie Holman|
|from the album I Love You|
|B-side||"It's All in the Game"|
|Recorded||1969; Virtue Studios in Philadelphia, PA|
|Genre||R&B, soul, pop|
|Producer(s)||Peter De Angeles|
"Hey There Lonely Girl" is a song recorded by R&B singer Eddie Holman. Recorded and released in 1969, it charted in the United States in 1970 and in the United Kingdom in 1974. The original version by Ruby and the Romantics was entitled, "Hey There Lonely Boy" in 1963, and was a Top 30 hit, peaking at #27. Holman's song peaked at #2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 pop chart, #1 on the Canadian RPM chart, and at #4 on the UK Singles Chart, his highest charting single in each country.
"Hey There Lonely Girl" is most recognizable by its disconsolate, sentimental and heavyhearted lyrics, with Holman's falsetto voice. Here is a sample of the chorus:
Hey there lonely girl, lonely girl
Let me make your broken heart like new
Oh, my lonely girl, lonely girl
Don't you know this lonely boy loves you
- Donny Osmond recorded a version of this song on his album, Portrait of Donny.
- Shaun Cassidy's 1977 version was a track on his debut LP. It reached # 5 in Australia.
- A version by Robert John was released in 1980 for the album Back on the Street (US #31).
- Stacy Lattisaw reworked the song from a female perspective. It was included on her 1982 LP, Sneakin' Out.
- New Edition also did a version on their Under the Blue Moon album released in 1986.
- British boyband Big Fun recorded a cover for their album "A Pocketful Of Dreams" released in 1990 by PWL, and produced by Stock, Aitken & Waterman.
- A version was released in 2008 by The Uptown Band ft. Erich Cawalla & Jenifer Kinder and appears on the group's debut CD "Waiting for Her".
- Will Downing did a cover of the first song from the Emotions album, which released in the fall of 2003.
- Famously used during the second season of the British television sitcom Benidorm (TV series) in which Mel portrayed by Geoffrey Hutchings badly sings this to his fiancee Madge Harvey
- Soul singer Gerry Woo recorded the song on his 1987 album "Listen To My Heart Beat"
- Smith, Ronald (2001). Chicago Top 40 Charts 1970-1979. iUniverse. p. 94. ISBN 1462080936.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 258. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- "Hey There Lonely Girl by Eddie Holman". Songfacts. Retrieved October 24, 2008.
|This 1960s R&B/soul music song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|