Heydar Aliyev International Airport
|Heydar Aliyev International Airport
Heydər Əliyev adına beynəlxalq hava limanı
|Owner||Government of Azerbaijan|
|Elevation AMSL||3 m / 10 ft|
Heydar Aliyev International Airport (IATA: GYD, ICAO: UBBB) (former Bina International Airport, Azerbaijani: Heydər Əliyev adına beynəlxalq hava limanı) is the international airport in Azerbaijan located 20 km (12 mi) northeast of the capital Baku. The airport is the home of Azerbaijan Airlines, the national flag carrier. It is the busiest airport in Azerbaijan and of the Caucasus. On March 10, 2004, the airport was renamed to Heydar Aliyev, the former President of Azerbaijan. As a result, its IATA code has been changed from BAK. The airport has two terminals (northern and southern) and the Baku cargo terminal. A truck parking and a hotel are nearby. The cargo airline Silk Way Airlines also has its head office on the airport property.
The design and project management work was carried out by British company APM Ltd and the building and civil works for the project by the Turkish consortium, Burc/Enka. In addition, Thomson-CSF Airsys ATM was awarded a US$19 million contract to supply and install equipment for the renovation of the terminal building.
The project to renovate the airport started at the beginning of 1998 and was completed in June 1999. The building comprises four modules, which operate as two terminals (north and south). One of them is used for domestic and Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) passengers and cargo, and the other one for international passengers and cargo.
The renovation, in two phases, was funded by a group of international banks. Phase 1 worked on the north terminal and Gate 1 and was completed in March 1999. Phase 2, the south terminal and administration offices, was completed in June.
The first runway has the magnetic course (heading) 16/34 and is 2,700 by 60 m (8,858 by 197 ft), the second runway's magnetic course is 18/36 and is 3,200 by 45 m (10,499 by 148 ft). The paved runways are ready to receive aircraft and helicopters under meteorological minimum established by ICAO. There are high intensity lights for the first runway and low intensity lights for the second one. Three taxiways are situated nearby.
There is an onsite emergency rescue team, available 24 hours a day, and their equipment includes Mil Mi-8 helicopter, high flotation vehicle equipped with longwave and upper sideband radio station, motor-car lift crane, BelAZ towing tractor, iron ski, hydraulic elevators, safe blocks and standard tows.
A new terminal in the Baku International Airport is under construction and will be commissioned in 2013. The concept design was completed in July 2010. The new terminal which is designed by Arup, will triple the capacity of the airport, and will have a semi transparent roof. The design was further developed, after this date, by other parties. After the introduction of the new terminal of the Baku international airport in 2013, the terminal currently operated will be used for domestic flights. The new airport terminal is designed for the annual maintenance of about three million passengers. The total usable area of the new terminal is 58 thousand square meters. The length of the runway in the new terminal complex will be 4,000 meters, and the width will be 75 meters.
The cargo terminal at Heydar Aliyev International Airport has been officially inaugurated and started its operation on 23 March 2005. The terminal is one of the biggest and most technically advanced cargo terminals in CIS. The total terminal building area is 12 000m2. and apron area with 163 000m2. The apron area provides space for handling of 4 Boeing 747 or 4 Antonov An-124 and 7 Ilyushin Il-76. The cargo Terminal serves as a major hub for cargo handling in the region, and has planned increasing the volume of cargo handling. Wide variety of terminal services including all types of ramp handling services meets the international requirements that can be a focus for worldwide cargo operators.
Airlines and destinations
|Aegean Airlines||Seasonal charter: Rhodes|
|Montenegro Airlines||Charter: Podgorica|
|Passengers||Change from previous year||Aircraft operations||Change from previous year||Cargo
|Change from previous year|
|Source: Airports Council International. World Airport Traffic Reports
(Years: 2012, 2013, and 2014)
There is a direct express minibus route number 116 operating from the airport to Baku city centre. The journey takes approximately 30–40 minutes.
The airport is located 20 km northeast of the capital Baku and is linked to the city by two modern highways - Airport Highway (14 km) and Zigh-Airport Highway (17 km). The journey from city centre to the airport by car takes approximately 30 min-40 min depending on the traffic conditions.
- EAD Basic Archived 11 January 2011 at WebCite
- Airport.az Baku - About the airport
- "Contact." Silk Way Airlines. Retrieved on 25 August 2011. "Head office Heydar Aliyev International Airport AZ1044 Baku, Azerbaijan."
- "Baku Cargo Terminal". Archived from the original on 2011-01-11. Retrieved 2007-11-16.
- "Heydar Aliyev International Airport". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Woods Bagot’s Baku airport project takes shape". Design Middle East. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Home - Arup - A global firm of consulting engineers, designers, planners and project managers". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- ": : : Ariana : : : flight schedules". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "AZAL announces a new program of flights to popular Turkish resort cities". ABC.az. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Nazarli, Amina (25 December 2015). "AZAL to resume flights to Berlin". AzerNews. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- Азизов, А. (29 January 2016). "AZAL с июня возобновляет авиарейсы по маршруту Баку-Барселона-Баку". Interfax-Azerbaijan. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Perm-Baku flights to be opened". Trend News Agency. 19 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- Tsurkov, Maksim (28 October 2015). "WizzAir to carry out regular Baku-Budapest flights". Trend News Agency. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Airport Council International's 2012 World Airport Traffic Report
- Airport Council International's 2013 World Airport Traffic Report
- Airport Council International's 2014 World Airport Traffic Report
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Heydar Aliyev International Airport.|
- Heydar Aliyev International Airport Official Web Site
- Current weather for UBBB at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for GYD at Aviation Safety Network
- Heydar Aliyev International Airport Renovation Project (English)