|Years active||1991–2000, 2011–present|
|Members||Akihiro Nanba (難波章浩)|
Ken Yokoyama (横山健)
Akira Tsuneoka (恒岡章)
Hi-Standard is a Japanese hardcore punk band who formed in 1991. The release Making the Road sparked sold-out Japan shows and US/European tours with punk bands such as NOFX, No Use for a Name and Wizo. Although members of Hi-Standard were Japanese born, all of the band's major releases were sung in English. Live footage of the band shows them talking to the crowd in their native Japanese and then immediately changing to English for the songs.
After recording five albums, the band entered a hiatus in August 2000, shortly after playing "Air Jam 2000". Ken Yokoyama began working on other projects, including BBQ CHICKENS. Yokoyama revisited the band's original label Pizza of Death Records, which has since signed many punk and alternative rock bands. Akihiro Nanba's newest project is Ultra Brain. According to CDJapan, Nanba proclaims their debut album, Neo Punk, to be the birth of neo punk. Akira Tsuneoka now provides the drums for the group Cubismo Grafico Five.
The band played at 'Air Jam 2011', and 'Air Jam 2012'. Hi Standard has been announced to headline the Japanese edition of Fat Wreck Chords 25th anniversary show in Tokyo in November 2015.
|1996||Growing Up||Fat Wreck Chords|
|1996||California Dreamin' EP||Fat Wreck Chords|
|1997||Angry Fist||Fat Wreck Chords|
|1997||Weihnachten stinkt!||Hulk Räckorz|
|1999||Making the Road||Fat Wreck Chords|
|2000||Last of Sunny Day||Fat Wreck Chords|
|2001||Love Is a Battlefield (EP)||Fat Wreck Chords|
|2016||Another Starting Line||Pizza of Death|
|2017||The Gift||Pizza of Death|
- The full length Last of Sunny Day contains songs from their prior releases and original songs. The band have an additional single "The Kids Are Alright" available only in Japan
- Hi-Standard performs punk covers of American songs like "California Dreamin'", "Green Acres", "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" and "Can't Help Falling In Love".
- On October 5, 2016, Hi-Standard suddenly ended their 16-year hiatus by releasing a new single, "Another Starting Line," with no preceding PR campaign, and available exclusively in stores
- Maximum Overdrive
- New Life
- Growing Up
- The Sound of Secret Minds
- The Kids Are Alright
- Brand New Sunset
- Stay Gold
- Teenagers Are All Assholes
- Another Starting Line
- "Ultra Brain - Neo Punk". cdjapan.co.jp.