|Genres||Melodic hardcore, hardcore punk, punk rock, pop punk|
|Labels||Pizza of Death Records, Fat Wreck Chords|
|Associated acts||BBQ CHICKENS, Ken Band|
Hi-Standard was a Japanese hardcore punk band who formed in 1991. The release Making the Road sparked sold-out Japan shows and US/European tours with punk bands such as NOFX, No Use for a Name and WIZO. Although members of Hi-Standard were Japanese born, all of the band's major releases were sung in English. Live footage of the band shows them talking to the crowd in their native Japanese and then immediately changing to English for the songs.
After recording five albums, the band entered a hiatus in August 2000, shortly after playing "Air Jam 2000". Ken Yokoyama began working on other projects, including BBQ CHICKENS. Yokoyama revisited the bands original label Pizza of Death Records, which has since signed many punk and alternative rock bands. Akihiro Nanba's newest project is Ultra Brain. According to CDJapan, Nanba proclaims their debut album, Neo Punk, to be the birth of neo punk. Akira Tsuneoka now provides the drums for the group Cubismo Grafico Five.
The band played at 'Air Jam 2011', and 'Air Jam 2012'.
|1996||Growing Up||Fat Wreck Chords|
|1996||California Dreamin' EP||Fat Wreck Chords|
|1997||Angry Fist||Fat Wreck Chords|
|1997||Weihnachten stinkt!||Hulk Räckorz|
|1999||Making the Road||Fat Wreck Chords|
|2000||Last of Sunny Day||Fat Wreck Chords|
|2001||Love Is a Battlefield (EP)||Fat Wreck Chords|
- The full length Last of Sunny Day contains songs from their prior releases and original songs. The band have an additional single "The Kids Are Alright" available only in Japan
- Hi-Standard performs punk covers of American songs like "California Dreamin'", "Green Acres", "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" and "Can't Help Falling In Love".
- Maximum Overdrive
- New Life
- Growing Up
- The Sound of Secret Minds
- The Kids Are Alright
- Brand New Sunset
- Stay Gold
- Teenagers Are All Assholes
- "Ultra Brain - Neo Punk". cdjapan.co.jp.