Hickory High School (Virginia)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Hickory High School|
|1996 Hawk Boulevard
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Chesapeake City Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. W. Randolph Nichols|
|Principal||Amber N. Dortch|
|Enrollment||2016 (445 Freshmen, 553 Sophomores, 378Juniors, 602 Seniors)|
|Color(s)||Teal, Grey, Black and White ███|
Singing we do implore
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
AAA Eastern Region
|Rivals||Grassfield High School
Great Bridge High School
|Feeder schools||Hickory Middle School|
Hickory High School (Hickory, Virginia) is a high school in Chesapeake, Virginia. There are approximately 2,100 students. The school's mascot is a hawk and the school colors are teal, grey, white, and black.
Owing to the overwhelming number of students, a new school, Grassfield High School, was built nearby.
Band and Marching Band
Hickory's marching band has a proud history of Bands of America championship excellence. In 2011, the Marching Hawks placed second in the Bands of America Towson Regional Championship and then placed eighth in finals at the Bands of America Indianapolis Super Regional Championship later that year. The band has consistently made finals in many Bands of America Regional and Super Regional Championships, such as Towson, Delaware, and Indianapolis. The Marching Hawks have also been named USSBA Mid Atlantic and State champions. Hickory's Winter Percussion were the 2012 WGI Scholastic Concert Open Champions, and Hickory's Winter Guard has been AIA finalists multiple times. The band is under the direction of Crystal Cox and Barron Maskew. Hickory's Symphonic Band and Concert Bands are among the best in the state. Hickory's Wind Ensemble is nationally recognized and participated in the Music for All National Festival in 2014.
Hickory High School activities include:
- Cheerleading - 2004-2005 District and Regional Champions, 2005-2006 District and Regional Champions, 5th in State, 2007-2008 2nd in state, State 5A Champion 2014.
- Scholastic Bowl - 2008 District and Regional Champions, 2010/2011 District Champs
- Marching band - USSBA State Champions and Mid Atlantic Champions
- Winter Guard - AIA Finalists 3 years running
- Winter Percussion - WGI Champions 2012
- Chamber orchestra - Under the direction of Steve Campbell
- Dance team
- Robotics - 2009 Rookie All-Star and 2011 Team Spirit Award at VCU Regional
The 2007-2008 Scholastic Bowl Team won the titles of Southeastern District Champions and Southeastern District Season Champions and Eastern Region Champions, and finished the season with a 21-3 record, coming in third place in the 2008 state championship. The team also came in third in the 2009 season, finishing with a 20-4 record. The team is coached by Mrs. Ford and Ms. Naperela.
In 2011, Hickory's Technology Student Association team led by Chandler Perry and Joey Cathey placed 4th at the National TSA conference in Digital Video Production.
Hickory High School athletics include:
- Golf- 7 time Southeastern Champions
- Track & Field
- Cheerleading - 2004,2005,2006 District and Regional Champions (3rd, 5th, and 2nd in State), 2014 State (5A) Champions
- Cross Country- 2012 District and Regional Champions
- Baseball - State (5A) Champions 2014
- Softball - 2008 Virginia State Champions
- Field Hockey
- Swim & Dive
In 2005, Hickory's Men's Soccer team was ranked 2nd nationally going 25-0 before losing to Cox 1-0 in the Regional Semi-Finals.
On June 7, 2008, the Lady Hawks Softball team defeated Battlefield High School 4-2 to win the Virginia State Softball Championship. The first state championship in sports in the school's history.
On October 3, 2008, Hickory's Football Team beat Grassfield High School on homecoming night. At the time, it was ranked tenth in the region. This win was the first under the new direction of Coach Sitterson.
In 2007, Hickory's men's volleyball team was one game away from an appearance in the AAA state tournament losing to First Colonial High 0-3 at regionals.
In 2008, Hickory's lacrosse team was formed. Hickory went 0-10 in its inaugural season, only to go undefeated in regional play the next year.
In 2009, Hickory's men's soccer team advanced to the AAA state semi-finals only to lose 2-1 in the semis.
In 2011, Hickory's scholastic bowl team was 1st in district, 2nd in region, and 3rd in state. The team was led by captain Robert Petri (UVA) and Sarah Stefan (W&M).
In 2013, Hickorys Cheer Team won the 5A State Championship.
In 2014, Hickory's baseball team won the 5A State Championship, their first in school history.
In 2014, Hickory's Cheer Team won the 5A State Championship, successfully defending their title and it marked the 4th State Championship for the school in its history, and the 3rd in the last year.
- Elizabeth Crot, Miss Virginia 2011
- Myles Henderson, meteorologist WTKR Norfolk
- Bree Sison, journalist CBS News
- Scott Sizemore, professional baseball infielder with the Oakland Athletics of Major League Baseball
- David Wright, New York Mets third baseman and seven time Major League All Star 
- "Miss America : 2014 National Contestants". www.missamerica.org. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-10-08.
- "Scott Sizemore Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "David Wright Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 10, 2012.