Hickory Ridge Mall
Entrance to Hickory Ridge Mall, December 2015
|Location||Winchester Road near Ridgeway Road, *Memphis, Tennessee, US|
|Opening date||1981 (expanded in 1986 & 1997), Reopened April 2010|
|Management||World Overcomers Ministries, Inc.|
|Owner||Hickory Ridge Corp|
|No. of stores and services||43 stores|
|No. of anchor tenants||0|
|Total retail floor area||787,000 square feet (73,100 m2) |
|No. of floors||1|
The mall featured more than 100 stores at its peak.
It was opened in 1981 with Goldsmith's (later Macy's) and Sears as the anchor stores. In 1986 it was expanded with Dillard's. MM Cohn and Dawahares also operated as junior anchors. In 1997 the mall was renovated to help the mall compete with the Wolfchase Galleria mall opening that year. By the early 2000s, the mall had begun to lose tenants due to shifting demographics and a number of vacant big-box stores in the area. The Dillard's store closed in early 2006.
On February 5, 2008, the Hickory Ridge Mall was hit by a tornado. The Sears store, the Macy's store, and the mall's main entrance were heavily damaged, but despite an initial statement from management that the mall would remain closed "indefinitely" for cleanup, temporary repairs made at record speed allowed Sears to reopen on Sunday, February 10, 2008. Significant repairs and restorations will still be required, however. Several people were injured. A spokesperson for the state's Emergency Management Agency said that one person was killed; however, it was never confirmed, although three people were killed at a warehouse near the mall. Debris from the mall, in the form of insulating foam, was scattered all over the Memphis area, following the storm path northeastward at least 15 miles (24 km) to the Wolfchase area.
World Overcomers Ministries eventually purchased the mall from its former owners, signaling their intent to reopen Hickory Ridge. Renovation on the mall began in 2008, and the mall reopened on April 3, 2010, with a community celebration. Under the new ownership, the former Macy's was replaced with an America's Incredible Pizza Company, which closed in 2012.
The closure of Sears, the last remaining anchor store, was announced in September 2013.
- "Hibbett Sports opens Hickory Ridge store.", Memphis Business Journal, May 5, 2004
- Hickory Ridge Mall Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine, International Council on Shopping Centers, accessed March 4, 2007
- "Hickory Ridge ready to refocus. New owners see opportunity to reposition mall Memphis Business Journal, May 2, 2003, by Kate Miller
- "Memphis, Tenn., Shopping Center Renovating to Compete with New Mall.", The Commercial Appeal (Memphis), February 14, 1997
- "Dillard's posts higher sales figures". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- "Severe weather, tornadoes kill dozens across South - CNN.com". Edition.cnn.com. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "America's Incredible Pizza to open Oct. 7 in Hickory Ridge Mall". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-23. Retrieved 2013-09-29.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Sears Leaving Hickory Ridge Mall, Tenants Fear Future". Wreg.com. 29 September 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2017.