Hickson Compact Group
The most famous group on Hickson’s list of 100 objects is HCG 92, Stephan's Quintet.
Hickson Compact Groups
According to Hickson: “Most compact groups contain a high fraction of galaxies having morphological or kinematical peculiarities, nuclear radio and infrared emission, and starburst or active galactic nuclei (AGN) activity. They contain large quantities of diffuse gas and are dynamically dominated by dark matter. They most likely form as subsystems within looser associations and evolve by gravitational processes. Strong galaxy interactions result and merging is expected to lead to the ultimate demise of the group. Compact groups are surprisingly numerous, and may play a significant role in galaxy evolution.”
The four members of HCG 44 by Hunter Wilson
- Paul Hickson (15 April 1982). "Systematic properties of compact groups of galaxies". Astrophysical Journal, Part 1. 255: 382–391. Bibcode:1982ApJ...255..382H. doi:10.1086/159838.
- Paul Hickson (25 October 1997). "Compact Groups of Galaxies". Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics. 35: 357–388. arXiv:. Bibcode:1997ARA&A..35..357H. doi:10.1146/annurev.astro.35.1.357.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hickson Compact Group.|
- "Crowded, but Suspiciously Quiet?". Picture of the Week. ESA/Hubble. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- Hickson, Paul (1982). "Systematic properties of compact groups of galaxies". Astrophysical Journal. 255: 382–391. Bibcode:1982ApJ...255..382H. doi:10.1086/159838.
- "Compact Groups of Galaxies". Retrieved 2006-10-23.
- "Anne's Picture of the Day: Hickson Compact Group 7". Anne's Astronomy News. 27 December 2012.
- "Hubble views a bizarre cosmic quartet". Space Daily. 22 June 2015.
- "A fossil in the making". ESA/Hubble Picture of the Week. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "A members-only galaxy club". ESA/Hubble Picture of the Week. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
|This astronomical catalogue article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|