Hidden & Dangerous
|Hidden & Dangerous|
Windows cover art (Germany)
Tarantula Studios (PlayStation)
Take-Two Interactive (PlayStation)
|Platform(s)||Windows, Dreamcast, PlayStation|
Hidden & Dangerous is a 1999 World War II video game developed by Illusion Softworks and published by Take-Two Interactive and TalonSoft for Windows, Dreamcast, and PlayStation. The PlayStation port of the game was developed by Tarantula Studios. It is regarded as one of the pioneering tactical first person shooters.
The player controls an eight-man British Special Air Service (SAS) team executing a number of important missions during World War II. The game features soldier selection prior to each mission. A comprehensive load-out sequence is also available where players have access to a variety of weapons and equipment. Mission briefings outline objectives, intelligence on enemy strengths and recommended plans of advance. During missions, players can command directly by toggling through the soldiers in their squad, voice commands or a tactical map which allows for real time control or planned maneuvers once the map is exited. Missions include, sabotage, search and destroy, POW rescue and resistance aid. Hidden and Dangerous features missions in Italy, Yugoslavia, Germany, Norway, the North Sea and Czechoslovakia. Despite certain historical liberties taken with actual SAS missions and time-lines, the game retains a degree of historical accuracy and intense atmosphere, including realistic wounding as squad members can be heavily wounded or killed by even brief enemy contact.
Hidden & Dangerous was a commercial success, with 350,000 units sold globally by May 2000. Sales had surpassed one million copies by 2007. It was particularly popular in the United Kingdom. According to PC Gamer US, most of the game's success derived from European markets. A writer for the magazine reported, "The game wasn't so fortunate in the States, where it received warm reviews but endured poor sales — partly because of intense competition from Rainbow Six, a lack of multiplayer options, and relatively little marketing exposure."
Hidden & Dangerous: Fight for Freedom
An expansion was released in 1999, titled Hidden & Dangerous: Fight for Freedom in the UK and Hidden & Dangerous: Devil's Bridge in the US in 2000. This added new soldiers, weapons and missions in new locations including Poland, the Ardennes and postwar Greece.
Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe
- Justice, Brandon (31 July 2000). "Hidden and Dangerous Deployed". IGN. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Redwood, Stephen. "Hidden & Dangerous (PC) - Review". AllGame. Archived from the original on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Liberatore, Raphael (November 1999). "Hidden Agenda (Hidden & Dangerous Review)" (PDF). Computer Gaming World (184): 162–64. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Edge staff (July 1999). "Hidden & Dangerous (PC)". Edge (73).
- "REVIEW for Hidden & Dangerous (PC)". GameFan. 20 September 1999.
- "Hidden & Dangerous (DC)". Game Informer (90). October 2000.
- Cheat Monkey (23 August 2000). "Hidden & Dangerous Review for Dreamcast on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on 7 February 2005. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Olafson, Peter (1999). "Hidden & Dangerous Review for PC on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on 11 February 2005. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Davis, Ryan (30 August 2000). "Hidden and Dangerous Review (DC)". GameSpot. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Kasavin, Greg (16 August 1999). "Hidden & Dangerous Review (PC)". GameSpot. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Mad Carl (15 August 2000). "Hidden and Dangerous". PlanetDreamcast. Archived from the original on 31 January 2009. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Dunham, Jeremy (15 August 2000). "Hidden & Dangerous (DC)". IGN. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Blevins, Tal (11 August 1999). "Hidden & Dangerous (PC)". IGN. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Williamson, Colin (November 1999). "Hidden & Dangerous". PC Gamer: 180. Archived from the original on 15 March 2006. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Hidden & Dangerous for Dreamcast Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "Hidden & Dangerous for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Olafson, Peter (May 2000). "Reviews; Hidden & Dangerous: Devil's Bridge". PC Accelerator (21): 74.
- Kim, Tom (November 14, 2007). "The Strange History Of Gamecock's Mike Wilson". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on March 25, 2008.
- Allan, Darren (July 2001). "Gaming Goes Global". PC Gamer US. 8 (7): 44–47, 50–52.
- Staff (February 2001). "World War 2.0 Covery Story; Hidden and Dangerous 2". PC Gamer US. 8 (2): 37, 38.
- "Free Full Game: Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe". GamersHell. 9 October 2003.