|Cover artist||Lucian Freud|
|30 January 1992|
|Media type||Print (hardback & paperback)|
Hideous Kinky is an autobiographical novel by Esther Freud, daughter of British painter Lucian Freud and great-granddaughter of Sigmund Freud. It depicts the author's unconventional childhood in Morocco with her mother and her elder sister, Bea. In 1998, a film adaptation was released.
A young mother and her two daughters travel to Marrakech, Morocco, during the 1960s. The mother, Julia, is disenchanted by the dreary conventions of English life, hence the journey. They live in a low-rent Marrakesh hotel and make a living out of making hand-sewn dolls and with some money sent by the girls' father, an artist in London.
Whilst the mother explores Sufism and quests for personal fulfilment, the daughters rebel. The elder, Bea, attempting to re-create her English life, wants to get an education and insists on going to school. The younger, Lucy, dreams of trivial things, like mashed potatoes, but also yearns for a father. Her hopes settle on a most unlikely candidate.
The girls match their mother with Bilal, a Moroccan con man and acrobat; the relationship turns sexual and he moves in, becoming almost a surrogate father. However, Julia's friend encourages her to travel to Algiers and study with a Sufi master at a school that advocates the "annihilation of the ego." As money vanishes, Julia's response is to claim that "God will provide," albeit in the person of Bilal.
Film, TV or theatrical adaptations
- 1992, UK, Hamish Hamilton ISBN 0-241-13179-0, Pub date 30 January 1992, hardback (First edition)
- 1992, USA, Harcourt ISBN 0-15-140216-7, Pub date ? July 1992, hardback
- 1993, UK, Penguin Books ISBN 0-14-017412-5, Pub date 25 February 1993, paperback
- 1998, USA, W.W. Norton ISBN 0-88001-593-4, Pub date ? April 1998, paperback
- 1999, UK, CSA Word ISBN 1-901768-20-1, Pub date ? January 1999, Audio book cassette (narrated by Esther Freud)
- 1999, USA, ScreenPress Books ISBN 1-901680-25-8, Pub date 11 March 1999, paperback (Film screenplay)